Sunday 17 March 2024

Back Again

 It's been a while since I've posted. We were away again for a couple of weeks. Since I am such a homebody, I am very happy to be back in my own home, in my own bed, with my own stuff around me. I'd make a poor world traveler. 

We had some Spring. Now we have some Winter. This too shall pass. 

We have a defunct water heater (propane) and husband is waiting on a part which could only be obtained through american amazon. It will have taken six days to arrive. I have been boiling water on the stove to wash dishes. We do cold water laundry (no big deal). We do have a small electric hot water heater to provide hot water to a third bathroom in an addition of our house, so we can take short showers. 

The ironic thing about this is, the place we were staying in on part of our trip didn't have hot water either and I was boiling water on a stove to do dishes. While I was there, I felt very "third worldish" and now that I'm home doing the same thing, I feel very "pioneerish". I'll be very happy to have things fixed. 

I do not have much to contribute. I'm watching the new episodes of Somebody Feed Phil on Netfix and the season 13 episodes of Vera on Britbox, via Prime video. I just picked up some books at the library - a Janet Evanovich (#28) and some James Patterson (the most recent Alex Cross ones). I haven't been teaching due to being away and this past week has been March Break, so no school. 

I'm patiently awaiting real Spring. Happy St. Patrick's Day. I am having corned beef and cabbage tonight. 


20 comments:

  1. We have just had a time with a defunct boiler...no central heating or hot water...it isn't fun, is it.
    It seems to be easing itself into Spring, just hoping we don't get another cold snap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have had the no hot water thing too and know what it is to heat the water to wash dishes, etc. When someone asks what would I miss most if on a dessert island, my thought would be Hot Water ! (miss those hot showers most). And if I may, I will recommend watching a weird (but funny) show called The Resident Alien on Netflix. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have daffodils blooming but it is chilly today. Spring is close and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How annoying and inconvenient to not have hot water, but you're stoically coping, probably much better than I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet picture of the snow and kitty on the railing. Please send some of it our way. We have no snow on the ground and the soil is dry, dry, dry. :o( Your temporary lack of hot water makes me think of the time (long ago) when my mom and I were living with my grandparents along with 7 other family members. (Dad was serving in World War II.) No hot water heater. Water for dishes and the bath tub (!) had to be heated on the stove. How did everyone manage?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having pepperoni pizza for supper tonight. Screw St Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear girl, every time we lose power do to storms or people who crash power poles...I know in my heart, I would not have been a good pioneer. I love having power and running water and heated water too. Good luck with a fast shipping of the part and your wonderful husband fixing the water heater. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the heater part arrives soon, and in the meantime, Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, the heating element went out on our water heater a month ago. Luckily, we didn't have to buy a new water heater, ours also just needed a few new parts. When you talk about boiling water on the stove it reminds me of my morning routine. I start a kettle of water to boil and then do a quick Sun Salutation Yoga set. It gets done in 7 minutes just as my water starts to boil for French Press coffee. I don't know why but that little routine brings me joy. Hope you get your part soon. I'm like you traveling nice, but home is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, the part arrived and it was broken upon taking it out of the box. Ughhh!!! It’s already back in the box, ready to be returned. Don’t know what the next step is… maybe time to succumb to the professionals ($$$).

    ReplyDelete
  11. we went to an Irish dinner mystery, Good stew and Irish bread. I hope all enjoyed Their own St. Padraig Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brrr cold water in your winter is not my idea of fun! And while you're on holiday too. You really are a pioneer woman. Hope it gets fixed fast

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adding kettle boiled water to a bath is fine, as long as you can both share the experience at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have two more 13 Vera episodes... I almost hate to finish them! Ah, the water heater issue -- been there. It's just that right now when it's especially cold it is even less fun not to have hot water at hand. I hope everything is straightened out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have definitely done the boiling of water to do dishes, and take a "sponge" bath. Usually it is because our water has been turned off though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope the holiday was a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in the middle of the latest Alex Cross as well! Love the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, Forgot to sign -- Patricia

      Delete
  18. Funny, we are on our way back from our son's place in Miami, and hevhad no hot water either! Fortunately the water was tepid, so we could do quick showers and I heated water for dishes. In his apartment complex, it takes a while for repairs to get done.

    ReplyDelete