Sunday 9 April 2023

The Gathering

 Yesterday, Saturday, I hosted the extended family Easter gathering. It was almost all adults ranging from 69 to 23, with one youngster of 12 years. 

I spent days cleaning, decluttering, and pre- making food so that it wouldn’t be as hectic on the actual day, or that was the theory. 

I roasted a turkey the day before and carved it, arranging light and dark meat on a shallow pan, then drizzled it with some drippings and turkey broth. I wrapped the whole thing in plastic and then foil and kept it in the fridge. I also pre- made a big casserole dish of baked beans because I was also serving a ham and they go well together. As well one guest was vegetarian so the beans qualified for a dish for her. I baked a carrot cake and froze it ahead of time. I also made oven baked stuffing the day before to reheat later. Of all the food, the stuffing was the disappointing one. I think it needed much more flavour and it just wasn’t right, texture wise. 

I reheated the turkey by adding a bit more broth to keep it moist and covering it with foil. I made the ham in a crockpot and it turned out really well. Did you know that if your ham sits above the top level of your crockpot because of the bone, you can just cover it with foil and crimp it down around the edges and it works just fine! I set the lid on top just to weigh it down. I also had mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, and rolls. 

Family brought appetizers and desserts, with a very nice variety, as well as bottles of wine. We played a fun trivia game, drawing names to put people in teams, for about an hour. It was good for laughs and was something different from what we usually do. 

In total, there were 17 of us. Here’s the thing that I need to remember if I do this again. I spent time dusting and vacuuming and mopping floors in our den and our living room but the only place people gathered was the kitchen! The whole day, into the evening it was all in the kitchen even when the two extensions were put on our harvest table, and the fold out table was brought in and set up and extra chairs were set in the kitchen and some of us were cutting up carrots or finding little bowls for cranberry sauce or mustard, everyone was still crammed into the kitchen! 

Note to self: don’t worry about the other rooms ( apart from the bathrooms) . 

I was happy to be able to do it, considering at different times in this past year I was wondering if I would ever have “normal “ holidays again, or if we would have celebrations with my sister ever again ( she’s great by the way). 

Today I was bone tired. I actually fell asleep on the couch with the tv on this afternoon. 

I hope all of you enjoyed your Easter weekend in whatever form that took for you and yours!

21 comments:

  1. Good for you, putting together this holiday gathering for your family. In the annals, it will be "Remember when Aunt M put on the Easter dinner for us!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own kids have wonderful memories of family gatherings so I’m happy to contribute to more memories!

      Delete
  2. That must have been a HUGE amount of work.. I am exhausted just reading your post! Thankfully your guests brought the entrees and sweets, bless their hearts.
    Do you have the weather and the space to have lunch outside? That seems to be more casual and less cleaning up afterwards.

    Happy and restful holidays to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha, it snowed a bit here! We reached a high of a brisk 6 degrees Celsius. But yes if it was a summer gathering, we would have room to be outside.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that was an amazing amount of work! It sounds like the effort was worth it, with lots of family around to enjoy the holiday.
    Take care and rest up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lazy day today. We will have my mother in law over tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Wow, feeding and entertaining 17 people is a huge undertaking! Sound like you pulled it off very successfully though! Glad you had such a fulfilling Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so familiar, everyone in the kitchen! And what a feast you prepared! I will need to go back to your post at Thanksgiving, seems like I am all jammed up for time a d oven space then. You certainly had much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to read about your family Easter and it's kitchen cosiness. A lot of work but obviously so much worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that reads like a food marathon. We had simple roasted lamb and mash, lots of veg and gravy. No starters, no sweets (there seemed to be chocolate for England and the small humans were super hyped on sugar). No wonder you were exhausted. Ignore the cleaning before hand, you only have to do it all over when the crowd departs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made an Easter brunch yesterday for 13 (9 adults and 4 children). You did a lot more work then I did tho! I just bought the baked goods and some of the sides. I did the ham in the crockpot too and was so happy with how it turned out! I had a large egg and sausage casserole with tater tots on top in the oven and everyone liked it. Tired today with lots of leftovers to go through - freezing or planning to use for this week's meals... Glad you had a lovely celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooking for 17 is no small task. Cozy large kitchens do draw everybody in. Thanks to your excellent cooking and outstanding hospitality, it sounds like everybody had a wonderful day. It will take a day or two for you to re-energize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are drawn to the kitchen, however small!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful! Exhausting but very fulfilling. Whenever we do anything here, the kitchen is where we all hang out. Seems people enjoy being there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful get-together... and a lot of work. But you are right, it is worth it and also that the main rooms for cleaning are the kitchen and bathrooms. We went to our daughters in the Texas Hill country for the Easter weekend and it was great. We hadn't gotten together since before the pandemic... so we enjoyed it immensely. Plan to post some pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well planned.

    Our youngest son carved his first turkey and did a darn good job of it. Still, that was the day I started to develop symptoms of Covid and was resting between task. Sure hope youngest does not get it for a third time.

    Your gathering sounds like lots of fun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a powerhouse! And that nap was well deserved. I did similar with advance prep -- it makes a world of difference, doesn't it. Sounds like it went off without a hitch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to read that Jade is doing well along side of you! Sounds like a wonderful family celebration time. I've been to lots of gatherings where everyone ends up in the kitchen; it's the heart of the home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also a believer in doing as much prep work the day before I host a big dinner. I try to have as little to do on event day as possible to avoid the 'harried host' look. I'm intrigued with how you roasted, carved and added drippings to the turkey the day before. Just having to warm it up before serving is ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job in handling the family reunion...yes, I too love good food and wonderful cakes with coffee...our kids were in Paris this year so we had a quiet Easter.
    I buy my meat from the farmer and cook everything fresh and then freeze it ... that's exactly how it is, totally relaxing when visitors come :-))
    Many greetings to you. Good relaxation alongside lots of happiness.

    ReplyDelete