Sunday 18 December 2022

My Sister

 On Friday I got a call from my brother saying my sister was in hospital. That was around noon time. By late afternoon I found out that I should be coming to the hospital and the family needed to gather round.

Now, maybe two days later, I'm having a hard time keeping track, she has defied odds and is still with us and making very small progress. She is in in critical care at a big hospital in her home city. We don't know what this is or what caused it. Don't even know if it is viral or bacterial. She is intubated and has many many lines running into her and is being monitored if every possible way.

This came out of the blue, she hadn't been badly ill leading up to this, just complaining of a bit of flu-like gastro flu like symptoms a few days before, but nothing very serious. Both flu and covid have been tested for and are negative. 

I am not a religious person, but I believe in energy. I talked to her  and told her how strong she is and also just talked to her and joked around with her like we normally would if we were talking on the phone to each other. I know some of you are religious and any healing thoughts, vibes, or prayers are welcome. 

My sister's name is Jade, she is five years older than me and the mother to two young adult daughters. She is artistic, loves to paint, create, design, she loves animals of all sorts and I featured her artwork on my blog a couple of years ago, showing the paintings she was doing as a business of people's pets. Jade's heart is incredibly big, she is always thinking of what she can do to make things nice for other people and goes beyond what she should for family and friends. She has a little grey cat named Finn who is missing her very much. 

This is surreal for me and the shock at how quickly something truly horrible and impossible can happen has left me stunned. I am back home with my husband for now, to re-energize, but as a family (myself, my two brothers, my nieces, my sister's good friend) are in constant contact and her eldest daughter is a fellow (one step from being a doctor) and so her insight and her explanations for us as to what is happening is incredible. 

I don't know why I'm blogging, I probably shouldn't even be taking the time to do this, but sometimes I feel like my blogging family are my other distant relatives and that somehow you should know about this.

Call your loved ones. Hug your partners. Pet your cat. 

40 comments:

  1. A shocking situation, how quickly things can happen -- sending best wishes and lots of healing energy to your sister Jade -- I hope she can fight this off and recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blogging because it helps to share I think. I'm so sorry about your sister and I hope she recovers quickly. It is shocking how quickly things can change, and always so shocking when bad things happen. Saying a prayer for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to your sister and family. I really do believe that thoughts and prayers are powerful. And yes, things can change in the blink of an eye. Here's hoping and praying that her condition improves...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of your sister and all the family who love and care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How suddenly things can turn! I wish Jade complete healing in her battle against this unknown illness. I will be thinking of you and your entire family throughout this time of uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are blogging because you know you have a connected world of people that "get you"...that love you and your family. I am so sorry your sister, Jade, is not doing well.

    I am married to an ordained pastor but I don't consider myself religious. I do believe I am spiritual and I am sending up prayers and healing thoughts as I type this. Blessings to you and your sister and the family. Keep us posted. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very sorry to read this Jenn and wish your sister strength and a full recovery. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrible shock. So glad you did post about your dear sister, Jade. Technology has given us this weird ability to care for others that we never in a million years would have had the chance to connect with if it weren't for the internet and blogging. I could feel your pain through your writing, Jenn. Do keep us updated and know we care. I'm sending as many healing thoughts and all the energy that can travel from here to you and your sister. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you, Jenn, and holding Jade in my thoughts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to talk, even to us out in the ether.
    Thinking of you both and sending a (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jenn, so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and Jade. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sister Jade has my prayers. Sending you a virtual hug.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are telling us because you are processing your feelings in what is a very safe and supportive space. Sending thoughts and prayers for Jade and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear this about your sister. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Jade.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this about your sister. Sending best wishes and lots of healing energy to her, as well as strength to you and everyone supporting her. I hope she fights this and makes a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jade is in my thoughts, and i will ask her vital organs to hang in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to read this Jenn. What a scary situation - almost unbelievable that it could come out of the blue like this. My thoughts are with you and Jade and I pray for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending many prayers, energy, healing vibes and anything else I can call up. Your poor sister. What a thing to happen. Please try to keep us posted when you can, I know all of your readers will be worrying as I am. Ous sisters are so precious to us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll be praying for Jade and the whole family. Sending you a (((hug))).
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear this. I am sending out my thoughts and hopes for a quick recovery and am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am fortunate that I have one of Jade's amazing art pieces - a drawing of one of my beloved cats. Jade's amazing talent captured the true likeness of my girl from a photo. I will keep Jade in my thoughts & send lots of positive healing energy her way. It is a season of miracles. ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
  22. The best thing you could of done for her talking and being strong. All the best for Jade, hope she comes through this quickly

    ReplyDelete
  23. How scary for the family but how nice that you are all there to support her and each other. Hope your sister continues to gain strength and recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a shock for everyone in your family. I hope by the time you read this, your sister has made even more healing progress.
    It's certainly a reminder to give our loved ones big hugs and warm words as often as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sending your family prayers. Hoping your sister will make a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What terrible news, Jenn, and so shocking for your family. Sending wishes your way for the best possible outcome for your poor sister.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Jenn, this is so very scary. Sending up prayers, positive vibes and good mojo in Jades name. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry to hear this. Your having a very tough year.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so sorry. My best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sisters are so precious and I am sending positive thoughts for her recovery as well as for strength for you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I stopped and said a prayer for Jade, and all who love her. It is a good thing to have a medical professional in the family to help unravel some of the information you are getting. And I totally understand that blogging is therapeutic in its own way; sometimes we need to talk to those we know will listen, even if over the airwaves. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry about your sister. The last sentence of your post is wonderful advice. I hope your sister is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I believe in energy too and sending you all the good energy that I have. To you and your sister and family.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Jenn, I am so sorry to hear about your sister Jade. I do remember your post about her. Seems like she was doing some dog, or pet paintings. Sure hope she continues to improve. I will remember her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sending positive thoughts that your sister continues to improve and heal.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm seeing this late and I'm hoping the positive energy I am sending your way and to Jade is now for post-crisis healing. This is so very hard and I hope her improvement continues. You are both loved and have so many good prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Praying for Jade and your entire family

    ReplyDelete