Sunday 3 July 2022

July 3, 2022 With Silver Bells and Cockleshells...

 I now have time to dote on my outdoor spaces. I've also purchased a new sprinkler because my old one was barely spraying and impossible to adjust. Today I gave the vegetable garden a good soaking because it's been a few days without rain. 




I still have my stakes and strings and some small or vulnerable plants are covered with wire to protect them from rabbits. I'm pleased with how well things are coming along. 

For comparison, here is a picture from June 5, about a month ago.


It's pretty stark, potatoes aren't up yet, lettuce barely germinated, tomatoes just little plants.

Even my herbs have almost doubled in size. (Now I just have to remember to use them!) You can see my weeding stools, something I can't be without now - so I can weed for a chunk of time without too much strain on my back. 


I'm very pleased to see blossoms on the tomatoes.


I just haven't been hugely successful with tomatoes the past couple of years. I don't think I even canned any last year. Blight was a problem. This year I purchased all my tomato plants and they are big and healthy, as opposed to starting my own from seed. I'll be using my own lettuce on our burgers tonight. It's a start!




19 comments:

  1. Enjoy the lettuce! I had some come up from last year's planting which was a surprise. Also some sunflowers have appeared where I grew them last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks outstanding and the growth in only one month is impressive. My two tomato plants were covered in blight so they've been disposed of. This is the third year in a row that blight destroyed my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That garden is magnificent. You better be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference a month makes! Everything looks so lush and green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is looking lovely and filling out nicely. Good luck with the tomatoes and enjoy your lettuce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My tomatoes here in SE England, are about the same stage as yours.....just a few flowers, but they don't seem to be growing very quickly. We have had very little rain and despite watering with a hose regularly it isn't the same as good old water from the skies is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your veggie garden looks very neat & tidy - a place of Zen activity & quiet. We haven't had rain in weeks; finding the good in that is that the farmers have all had weeks of perfect haying weather - I like the smell in the morning of fresh cut hay, it is so sweet. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking very, very good! It truly is amazing how fast things grow at this time of the year. Long days and warm nights make the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks great! It's incredible how quickly plants with grow when the conditions are right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'd love to have a large vegetable garden. My big, high energy, dog has always made gardening in the back yard a gamble. I have a small raised bed that is safe from his feet but anything grown in garden beds is vulnerable. Surprisingly, I may get a few beets and cucumbers this year. The tomatoes and basil are in the front yard so they remain safe (and are doing well!) I might just be able to pull off some home grown salads in a few weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What splendid gardens! I am mad-jealous especially of the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden looks wonderful! My little raised veg trug is doing OK... the Black Swallowtail caterpillars are eating my parsley, but that's alright. I may have to plant more. Tomato plants, basil, and bell peppers look OK... but it's still early (and very hot - suppose to hit 105 this week). Enjoy your lettuce. I hope to plant some in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenn I love your plot! Looks great! I don't know if I'll be successful with tomatoes here or not. The nights get so cold and we haven't had many really sunny days. I hope yours flourish! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. I noticed blossoms on our tomatoes yesterday, but things are pretty slow here due to the cold.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden looks remarkable -- and like a TON of work! Well done, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your veggies look fabulous! What a beautiful garden. We have been eating the lettuce from our garden and it tastes all the better from your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a fast development in the garden. Good luck defeating that tomato blight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How beautiful, Jenn. And the photos--what a difference a month makes. I like the way you have everything arranged so nicely. Well worth the work, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden looks amazing Jenn! So weed-free! ☺

    ReplyDelete