Sunday 26 June 2022

Sunday, June 26, 2022

 We've been experiencing a lovely stretch of nice hot weather. Perhaps some rain today which is fine by me for my gardens could use it. It was so hot yesterday that we spent a nice chunk of the afternoon in the pool. Our pool is heated only by some husband-made solar heating system so it takes some good heat to get it to a temperature that suits me. It was 83 degrees yesterday, so that's good!

The school year is wrapping up. Students attend until Wednesday the 29th. Teachers have one P.D. day, the 30th, to clean and re-organize their classrooms. I've been surprisingly busy with supply teaching this past week, and am booked for Monday and Tuesday. I've been part of two playdays (fun outdoor activities throughout the day, usually run by the older grades).  Then Friday is Canada Day, July 1st. I'd like to go somewhere to watch fireworks, as the last two years, of course, have been cancelled. 

The gardens are lovely right now. Many peonies were beaten down by previous rains, but the beautiful pink ones are still showing their colour. The delphiniums are on the cusp of blooming. This year, I have taken to bringing in a very tiny bouquet of blooms to put in a sweet little vase on the bathroom counter. I generally like an uncluttered counter top in the bathroom, but realized how just a small bit of my flowers made me happy each time I looked at them. Here are some dianthus that I cut last night. (I'm pretty sure they are dianthus, correct me if I'm wrong).


Previously I've had three peony blooms, mock orange, lilac, and siberian iris. The scent of the peonies filled the room. Do you bring flowers into the house from your garden?

This morning I brewed up some fresh hummingbird syrup. I have intentions of planting out two new hanging pots for the front porch, as the ones from Mother's Day have an unfortunate case of tiny aphids and are almost beyond saving. Two doses of insecticidal soap haven't made a difference. I shall cut them back to the extreme and dose them again, setting them away from other plants and hope for the best. Maybe I can bring them back to life. 

I continue to try my best to not spend, time gas fill-ups to the "cheapest" price (it is now $1.98 a litre, but I had to put gas in when it was well over $2.00), and look at the grocery store flyers for the best sales. It is beyond me how some people are managing right now (and I know many are not). 

Later I will have a zen hour or so, sitting on my little stool, weeding in my vegetable garden. I have now realized that my carrots have been nibbled off and I shall have to replant and sufficiently cover them. (Rabbits!!!). I am currently sitting at the computer in the kitchen and looking at my many lists I have made of things that need doing, but not stressing about them because it will all get done (or not) eventually. 


27 comments:

  1. It is hot and dry in Massachusetts too. I would love a few days of rain. Your supply teaching has been nice and steady. That said, you must be looking forward to summer break. Like you, I bring in flowers from the garden and enjoy the cheery feeling they bring. This week gas is $4.89.9 a gal. at the low cost station. Groceries seem to continuously rise in price. My bargain last week was buying a 5 lb. butt end ham for $10. I boiled it in apple juice for a 5 hrs. and then wrapped it in foil and baked it for 30 min. It comes out like pulled pork and it great as a main course and later hot sandwiches with BBQ sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a great value and great way to use pork! I like pulled pork sandwiches on buns with coleslaw.

      Delete
  2. $1.98 a litre doesn't sound bad, but I should probably look up the conversion. Here in the US it is hovering around $5 per gallon.

    (Long pause)

    Ooh...okay. I looked it up. If my info is correct, your 1.98 per litre is about $6.00 US dollars per gallon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for doing that conversion to gallons. When I wrote that in my blog I realized later it might sound super cheap to those used to gallons.

      Delete
  3. Peonies are blooming everywhere! What a gorgeous sight they are. I'd love to add some in our garden but I don't have the space. Yet. When we finally put in our shed, I can plan better. At least all our trees are finally in the ground. It's really hot and humid today. I took an early morning walk with a friend and by 9:30, it started to become unbearable in the sun. Now I'm happily parked indoors with a cold coffee catching up with blogs and videos. Like you, I don't know how some people are managing. And yes, many are not. Everything has gone up. It's terrible. Happy rest of the weekend. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do find a little corner for a peony some day! They are my happy flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bugs Bunny needs a stern talking to, evidently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s kind of a love / hate relationship with the bunnies.

      Delete
  6. I definitely bring some flowers in from the yard; particularly my peonies (which are long past blooming here). Currently, the only things blooming are my roses and the day lilies (which are NOT my favorite) are preparing to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have day lilies but they aren’t great as cut flowers. They’re only good “ for the day”.

      Delete
  7. Your opening sentence made me smile. Nice and hot are two words never linked together around these parts. Other adjectives are used to go with hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I guess the contrast between the seasons means we embrace the “ hot”. Some people complain about the humidity here ( we are in a basin of sorts surrounded by the Great Lakes), but I love it regardless.

      Delete
  8. I hate filling the tank on my new car. It's bigger, and it's on the passenger side. I really dislike walking around my car for gas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As well, gone are the days of someone pumping your gas for you.

      Delete
  9. Your little bouquets in the bathroom are such a good idea. I don't bring flowers indoors because my two fur girls LOVE to chew on them & then throw up. Mr Man think it might soon be a case of us picking alternate days to eat - iceberg lettuce at $3.99 a head had me gasping out loud at the grocery store. ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s insane for iceberg lettuce! Glad I planted lettuce.

      Delete
  10. I don't bring cut flowers into the house, at least not yet. My peony is just in it's second year so I hope it flowers next year. The rest of my plants aren't really good for cut flowers.
    This is one time I'm definitely happy I live in the city. Gas prices are so high but I can limit my trips and only fill once a month. My brother lives on the farm and I don't even want to think what they spend on fuel for their vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely, the price for fuel ( with diesel being even higher) is insane for farmers, anyone with a trucking business…

      Delete
  11. I like your tiny vase of flowers. Such a neat clean looking counter. I haven't had anything pretty enough to cut and bring in this summer. Seriously, it has been the worst year for flowers here. Even the knock-out roses bloomed once and and no more. Usually they bloom until frost. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand the love/hate relationship with the bunnies. My daughter and hubby have embraced their outdoor bunnies and even taken the bunny babies in. They however have to put up with the nibbling that goes on in their garden.

    And yes, food prices are getting a bit out of hand... and we hardly eat any meat... just a little chicken and ground beef, but all things are up and not just a little! Gas prices ARE high (around 4.69 here)... but being retired, we don't use much gas. I fear for those who travel with their work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been busy..and yes, we need rain, as it has been a dry week since last Tuesday's downpour. I did bring in some peony flowers to enjoy and Sweet Williams are blooming now, but I want them to go to seed and spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait, are those sweet William in my vase? Are they a member of the dianthus family? Once upon a time I used to know most of the “proper “ names of plants.

      Delete
    2. Yes. I believe they are. They come in so many interesting colours and combinations of colours. (Dianthus barbatus)

      Delete
  14. And here in Saskatchewan it is the first dry sunny day in awhile. Not complaining as the rain barrel for watering is full.
    You have been busy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep getting teased with the prediction of rain, but still waiting. I have the sprinkler on again for a bit. Just in the vegetable garden.

      Delete
  15. I'm with you on bringing flowers into the house if I'm lucky enough to have them. And I'm like you on shopping and gas... sometimes you have to pay higher but I try like crazy to bulk errands and not buy till it's as low as possible.

    ReplyDelete