Monday 2 August 2021

Monday, August 2, 2021 - Not quite so mundane, but join in on a "Cutting Topic"

 O.K., here's the back story. I alluded to good news about my daughter a while back and now it's a done deal and has been shared, so she and her long-time boyfriend have bought a house together and are excited about embarking on a new life together (and getting the heck out of their parents' houses - Covid brought us all closer together, but enough is enough). 

Daughter was going through a closet in the mudroom looking for things to pack up or get rid of, like coats, old running shoes, etc. Whilst embarking on this quest, she noticed piles of birdseed and other evidence of rodent activity. So... she proceeded in pulling everything out into the hallway and dealing with this. I really wasn't intending to take on a big clean out, but it needed doing, so I helped her that evening (yes, the mouse was found, alive and well and yes the nest inside the skate was emptied out and yes things were thrown away) and then the next day, as she had to work, I continued and gave everything a thorough disinfecting. We have four big closets in our mudroom that are used to store seasonal coats/ boots / luggage / food items (in the pantry closet) and big awkward kitchen things like bread makers and canning pots, and cleaning items and supplies as well as hundreds of other things. 

I dealt with that closet and checked in the closet right beside it. I didn't find any evidence of mice there, but it was a good excuse to go through things and purge some items which felt great! Life went on and then a day ago when I was getting something from the pantry closet I noticed an "eu de mouse". Oh dear. So another few hours were spent pulling things out, cleaning, purging, wondering why I keep buying tomato paste when I already have five cans, and then making a pile of "does daughter want this, or is it being donated" items (e.g. fondue pot, crockpot - I don't need three of them anymore- old blender). I did not find a mouse but I sense maybe someone has crawled behind a wall to die. Joy. 

Daughter and boyfriend are here today and I showed them the items up for grabs. They said yes to the set of mixing bowls, the fondue pot (still in the box, never been used), and... the mandoline set. For those who do not know what a mandoline is, apart from being a stringed instrument, it is also a slicing device where you can slide a vegetable, for example, over it and get lovely even slices. Daughter's boyfriend told me he had once done some damage to one of his fingers on a mandoline. Ick, I thought, as I have kind of a blade issue - makes me go a bit weak in the knees. (Could barely watch "Edward Scissorhands").

Like the considerate mother that I am, I washed the bowls, and a mug, and the mandoline set in hot soapy water with some bleach thrown in, because there was a likelihood that the vermin had walked over these items. I knew to be careful when washing the mandoline. Then I thought, rather than letting things dry in the sink, I'll just dry them and pack them up and it's one more thing done, easy for them to take when the time comes. And yes people, yes, you knew this was coming, I managed to slice my finger while I was drying it. Honestly!!! Ewwwww - that feeling when you know you've done something nasty and you're waiting for the pain to hit. I shoved my finger in my mouth and raced to the bathroom while swearing (kind of muffled due to finger in mouth), grabbed  the new box of "good" bandaids, tossed it to daughter and said, "Open this and get me a big one!" I put two on for good measure. Don't even want to look at it yet. At least it's my non-dominant hand, but I have to tell you, it has taken twice as long to type this post. I actually do type in the "proper" way - took typing in high school on big old manual type writers- and place my fingers in the right spots. Not today however. That left index finger is taking  typing vacation.

My family jokes that I could cut myself on anything. Here is a short, honest list of things I have managed to cut myself on: paper, cardboard, the edge of an ice cream container, my own fingernail, the edge of a peanut butter jar, a bowling ball. I have likely forgotten many other examples, but I should explain the bowling ball. It was one of the bigger ones that have finger holes in them. I managed to cut my thumb on the sharp edge of the hole. Strangely enough, I very, very rarely cut myself using a knife.

So join in. Do you have a mandoline? Does it scare the living crap out of you? What's the strangest thing you've cut yourself on? Do you realize how squeamish and icky your possible comments might make me feel? 


51 comments:

  1. Yes I have a mandoline. They are great. I used it once cut myself put it back in the box have never used it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't cut myself on the mandoline but I did give it up because the plastic top - the thing that you move across the potatoes (in my case) began to chip off. I realized I can cut them thin enough with just a knife so I threw it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm good with a knife - other methods are too much bother.

      Delete
  3. I don't have a mandoline (which is fine since I'd never use it) because, like you, it scares the living cwap out of me. Your post had the shivers running up and down my spine when I realized what was coming. (Gotta admit I thought "what the . . . ?" when you said you cut yourself on a bowling ball. A bowling ball???) I've only cut myself on the usual things like knives so don't have an interesting story to share. But a friend of mine once got a blender for a Christmas present, was putting it together to blend herself and hubby an alcoholic drink that sounded good in the recipe book that came with it, dropped the blade onto the big toe of her bare foot. Yep, had to go to the emergency room to get a couple of stitches. On Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I can't have a knife block full of knives on my kitchen counter. In college I saw the beginning of a movie called "Sisters" and a man was stabbed to death in the first half hour with a big knife from the kitchen. I ran out of the room and did not watch any more of That movie. But last Christmas my kids gave me a knife block, and I had the willies opening it. I explained my distaste, and it went back to the store or to someone else.
    I usually cut my fingers on the metal cheese grater, but I am learning not to grate down to the last bit of hard food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, as soon as you mentioned the cheese grater... my husband will use all sorts of power tools, saws, etc., but cheese graters are something he won't go near!

      Delete
  5. I have cut myself with my own fingernails, now keep them short. I don't have a mandoline but my usual kitchen accidents are burns - boiling hot tomato soup (that one was serious), stove top elements and putting things in and taking out of the oven. Other than that it's usually gardening accidents (scratches and bruises).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening can create any number of scrapes, cuts, bruises, rashes, bumps, bites...

      Delete
  6. I hope you heal quickly, sore fingers make their presence felt with surprising frequency!
    I have a mandolin with a retractable blade that winds up or down to alter thickness. I am extremely careful to wind the blade right down below the surface when handling it after use as I know it is razor sharp and gives me shivers when I think about the damage it could do.
    I use it often as I'm vegetarian and it is a real time saver when dealing with heaps of vegies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No mandoline here, but like you I can cut myself on anything. Harvey hates to see me with a knife in my hands.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two mandolines at the old house. One more dangerous than the other. My brother made the latter to obtain perfect fried potato slices.
    I've only cut myself on the tip of a very sharp knife cutting through a large veggie. I never looked at it; two bandaids, long wait to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got the nerve to look at it tonight. I'll live. Just.

      Delete
  9. There are so many things in this post I want to comment on--the mice, the cleanout, the tomato paste, the pile of stuff to give away...but I'll answer your question instead. I've cut myself on an ear of corn. You know those husks can be sharp? I didn't, until I was bleeding. But yes, boxes and paper and even tape have all taken a bite out of me. Then there's shards of veneer when I'm working on furniture, the mat knife, metal shavings...it's a long list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yes!!! And long grass. I've cut my hand pulling out long grass! (I was serious about the tomato paste!)

      Delete
  10. Like Granny Sue, so much to comment on - aren't clean-outs good for the soul? But strangrly not so if done regularly. I have a mondoline, yes it scares me, but it is great for processing veg to pickle and ferment (saurkraut).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saurkraut was a constant over at the farm and they used a big slicer for that. I do love a good clean out!

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh…just the word mandoline gives me shivers! My husband had to get stitches in the emergency room a few years ago because of one. I promptly threw it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a mandolins in student days. It moved out with an ex flatmate...never cut myself, but if I got one now, which I would love, I'd get one with the thing with the spikes that you stick in what you are slicing!!
    I dread Michael le mouse moving in....all that family history, archives, photographs, artwork...food and clothes are less important!
    We have had a couple of field mice in..turn your back and leave the door open in summer... Caught quickly, fortunately!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one came with a "thing with spikes". It was in the act of drying it that I cut myself, not even actually using it. Figures.

      Delete
  13. Oh yes we have one of those mandolin things, which we seldom use. And of course I've sliced my finger. I shudder as I think about it. I'd be like you, run for a plaster and cover the finger while I recover from the shock of it.
    I wish I could throw out all our extra kitchen stuff. It lightens the soul as well I reckon. I love to chuck but other half definitely does not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a similar other half, about things other than kitchen items because that's my domain anyway.

      Delete
  14. Yes, indeedy!! My stomach lurched before you got to the gruesome bit for I knew where you were heading!! I have one of those woven metal gloves for using mine and the assorted fancy graters I have accumulated. It's a brilliant thing and I'm on to my second as the first ended up with a worn out finger - for a very good reason!! This past week I was grating a very hard bit of cheese that had become a bit slick with moisture and I thought, oh, I only need a a little bit, it will just take a second so I don't need to put the glove on ... you know where this is heading. Thumb knuckle. Three days of bandaids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No mandoline here. I am dangerous enough with the usual objects. No need to add new ways of injuring myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't cut myself very often but I do have a talent for losing things. I touch it, you'll never see it again. Me either. It's not the kind of thing I like to brag about. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing things - as they say you'll always find it in the last place you look! haha

      Delete
  17. YAass...we have used it to slice zucchini into those low carb zoodles. There are protective gloves you can get to wear when using it. Yikes...totally too scary for zoodles if you ask me. I never use it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And THAT is why I have never bought a mandolin slicer -- they are just TOO DANGEROUS! I hope your finger heals soon. And by the way, you DO know the old saying, don't you? "There's never just one mouse."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we did find mama mouse a couple of weeks ago, and her offspring (the less said about that, the better). Maybe this is a cousin.

      Delete
  19. Congratulations to your daughter and her b/f. I'm sure they will appreciate most items you're able to provide. I would never own a mandolin because I'm sure I'd end up cutting myself rather than the veg!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to your daughter & her partner on the house purchase. So exciting, so scary!

    No to owning a mandoline & yes they do scare me. The weirdest way I've cut myself is on my own toe nail while fighting some tangled sheets (don't ask, but yes there was a cat involved). I hope that your wounded finger heals quickly. ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have also cut the back of my heel with the toenail of the other foot. Forgot about that. Cats and bedsheets!! Ugh.

      Delete
  21. When I hear stories like yours I get a bad BAD case of the heeby jeebies. It hurts right down to my ankles!
    Haven't cut myself on the mandoline but definitely other implements. My partner has a BAD track record with box cutters which he uses in his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, box cutters - when son was working at the grocery store as his part time job, he managed that a couple of times. Ick again!

      Delete
  22. Congratulations to your daughter and her boyfriend on their new house. I had a mouse problem too. In response, I've set traps and put all dry goods in tightly closed containers. Since this action, the mouse problem is solved.
    I'll be on the look-out again late Fall. No cuts for me. My problem is electrical and wiring of any kind. I typically get a minor zap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are traps in all the closets now, baited with peanut butter. Yikes!! Electric shocks?? THAT scares me!

      Delete
  23. I don't have a mandoline. I've sort of always wanted one but haven't bit, due to the very reasons you state. I do, however, have a Feemsters Famous Vegetable Slicer (c. 1940s-50s) which apparently must still be made -- it's $52 on Ebay and $19.99 new). I could probably buy a pretty swell mandoline with that, and probably a lot safer than the feemster. A friend gave it to me because she thought I might vintage kitchen stuff but I'm not sure she thought I'd ever use it! And yes, I've had accidents -- not terrible, but enough.

    As for mice, we are pretty sure Stuart Little is still in residence in the cottage. Every time Lizzie takes off at a run and then stares at the corner I shudder a little. Rick and I have both had individual sightings at times but not lately and no obvious tracks. We shall see. Good luck with your little friends.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Jenn I know that feeling of cutting yourself and you have to wait a few seconds for the blood to start to flow and the pain to come on!!! Ouch! The mice OMG! We had mice in our last house and as much as we sealed up every place we could think of where they might be coming in they still were getting in. Finally had to have an exterminator. So I feel your pain on that too. Congrats to your daughter and her boyfriend. Glad they can use some of your things in the new house. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  25. I shuddered while reading this since your first typing of mandolin.
    I coveted one for a long time and several Thanksgivings ago I purchased one to make some sort of gratin dish. As soon as I started to use it, I TOO had that fear of slicing my fingers.
    I've used it all of 2 times; it sits in it's box in a closet as I have this icky kind of feeling every time I look at it or even think of it.
    I hope your finger heals well and that the kids are better with the kitchen mandolin that we are.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Only yesterday when I was pulling weeds I managed to cut across my palm with a blade of grass! Usually I don´t cut myself in the kitchen, but I manage to burn myself regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I feel your pain Jenn...a few years back the same thing happened to me on my mandolin and I will NEVER use that guillotine-like horror again. What a device. Getting rid of your fondue pot...oh I shed a tear reading that! ;) You know how I love my cheese fondues!!! :) Congrats to your daughter and her bf!!! May they have a love-filled happy life together! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  28. OUCH! Yes I have a mandolin, and use it for making sauerkraut and slaw and slicing cucs for bread and butter pickles, but am very careful to not go too far before using the holder, as yes, I've sliced myself and it IS NOT FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eeew, I found this hard to read! Hope the cut is not as bad as you imagined.
    We have a house full of stuff that we thought our daughters might want. (Note the past tense.) We were wrong and a clear-out of pans, microwave and the like is long overdue, so congratulations to you for getting sorted!

    ReplyDelete