Wednesday 22 January 2020

January 22, 2020

I realize I haven't been posting as much. Don't know why. Just not feeling it, but I'm still reading your posts!

What's going on? The kids bought us a Nespresso coffee maker for Christmas with a whole bunch of coffee "pods" to go along with it. We never would have bought it for ourselves, but it is fun. It came with a little milk frother, but is actually creates a fairly frothy cup of coffee anyway, even without adding frothy milk. Again, fun. It's quite a step up from my usual cup of instant coffee!

Here's a picture from the interweb:

This is the coffee maker that George Clooney advertises for. Kind of wish he had brought it to me at Christmas, but that didn't happen.

I finished the latest Louise Penny novel, A Better Man. I loved it and read it in a little more than a day. If you haven't read any Louise Penny, she has written a series and it is best to start with the first one, Still Life. These are richly developed mysteries set in Quebec, mostly the Eastern Townships. She is absolutely one of my favourite authors.

We ended up having daughter and her boyfriend home this past weekend which was a nice chance to catch up. We took her back to the city where she attends university on the Sunday. There had been some big snow here earlier in the weekend. Strangely on the way there, we saw that there had been some freezing rain and the ice was still coating the trees. It was so sparkly and pretty - like diamonds hanging from the trees glinting in the sunshine. We pulled over to take some pictures. Daughter took far more artistic shots than I did, but here are some images.




Pictures after ice storms never really capture what it actually looks like, but you probably get the idea.

I have also caught up on the next season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix. I really enjoy this series. It's funny, another blogger was writing about this show and a someone wrote a comment about wanting Frankie's wardrobe. I, on the other hand, would love to have Grace's wardrobe! She is portrayed as very classy and a bit of a perfectionist. I'd even steal the hairstyle!

I was just going through programmes that I've saved on our DVR (set to record automatically) and got thinking about various tastes in viewing and even how husband and I only have a few shows that we watch together willingly. He's more of a news, historic, movie guy. I like comedies, good crime detective shows, mysteries, and some series. See if we have anything in common:

-America's Got Talent
-Back in Time for Winter (new one on CBC after last year's Back in Time for Dinner)
-Coronation Street
-Criminal Minds (but honestly, I'm tired of it and it's time for it to be done)
-The Curse of Oak Island (husband and I keep joking, "This will be the week they find something!")
-The Detectives (a Canadian show about real cold case files)
-The Durrells in Corfu (all done watching the series, but I've kept it in case I want to watch again)
-Escape to the Chateau
-Homestead Rescue
-Kim's Convenience
-Kings of Pain (have you SEEN this???)
-Modern Family (I will be so sad when this is over - I enjoy these characters so much!)
-Schitt's Creek (again, I have watched this since the beginning, and this is the last season
-Stumptown
-Victorian Slum House
I have likely forgotten some that I've already deleted.

What's for supper tonight? Leftover split pea and ham soup. I made a big ham when daughter and her boyfriend were home, so I used my Instant Pot to make soup and I still have lots of ham. Tomorrow will be eggs, ham, beans. Breakfast for supper!

I have begun something which I never thought I would do, never even considered it: Tai Chi. A friend of mine found out a beginner class was being offered locally and asked if I would be interested in doing it with her. I'm not much of a joiner or doer, as I like to come home from work and collapse, or continue doing work stuff, or drink wine on the couch with a laptop on top of my lap, but I thought, why not? So, I'm learning to do "the sixteen" which are sixteen moves that you start with. I cannot for the life of me remember what the moves are specifically called so I refer to them as "the swan thing" or "the mare thing" or "the monkey thing". It's ok. It's something nice to do with a friend and it gets me out of my comfort zone, which I need.

I am still on my Invisalign journey. I have Week 11 trays in my mouth out of 40 weeks. I just don't get people who say they stopped noticing they even had them in. Every week I put in new trays and every week they rub against other parts of the inside of my mouth making me wince when I smile, talk, breath... I think if my job wasn't one that required talking all the time, it might not be so bad, but it's like my mouth just doesn't catch a break. Oh well, first world problem. Quit your whining, Jenn.

I think I've wrapped up my goings-on now. Thanks for everyone who pops by and reads my blog. Thanks to new people who have commented. I don't even know how you find me, but I'm glad you do! Have a good week, all.



40 comments:

  1. I hear you on the blogging front ... we have the K-cup coffee maker & alas no one famous uses. I agree 100% about Louise Penny & I'm very excited to read the next book "The Devils Are All Here" (I think I got that title correct) & it's due in September. I'm a long time watcher of Corrie & Modern Family. I'm now hooked on Manifest & Emergence. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was another one coming out in September. Oh my gosh - I'll be eager for that!

      Delete
  2. We use a French press and Right o'clock coffee. We're very fond of it.
    That show Kings of Pain drives me crazy. I watched part of the first episode and we do grossed out. We like the archeology stuff on Oak Island but the bizarre guesses are kind of nutty!
    I'm hooked on Rosalind Pilcher novels right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a French press, but only used it a few times and then the novelty wore off. Instant was always just so quick and easy and no clean up. I've not heard of Rosaline Pilcher. I'll have to check her out.

      Delete
    2. Karen, I'm wondering if you're thinking of Rosamunde Pilcher's books? My very favourite book of hers is called "Winter Solstice" and was published in 2004. It is her last novel in a long list. I read it every winter and have probably read it 8 or 9 times. I know. That's a lot. I think it's a comfort thing. I feel so at home reading it. We loved The Durrells in Corfu and are disappoined it is finished. Stay warm and cozy. Looks like more snow on Sunday. Hugs, Elaine

      Delete
  3. Tai Chi is great for balance. We watch most of the same movies. But, we are tea drinkers, coffee only occasionally. Split pea soup sounds delicious - it has been a long time since I have made it. Think I will buy some ham.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was even better tonight - husband always says that about soup, stew, or chili that's on it's second or third day. (I make large quantities).

      Delete
  4. I just started Grace and Frankie. I want Frankie's wardrobe...back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Frankie reminds me in many ways of a previous co-worker.

      Delete
  5. We have some overlap, viewing-wise. I enjoy both Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience. My husband is currently watching the latest John Wick installment on his own. I don't find much enjoyment in the 'men with guns' genre of film.

    The photos show lovely winter scenes. -none that we ever have here, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I am not a big fan of that type of movie either. We've had a couple of lovely sunny days - perfect for shadows on the snow.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're doing tai chi, that's super! The reason tai chi is always done as a group activity is that NO ONE can remember all the moves on their own. But in a group, everyone just kind of "prompts" everyone else into remembering, LOL!

    Of your list, I also watch and enjoy -- Back in Time for Winter, The Durrells in Corfu, Kim's Convenience, and Modern Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And too bad about George Clooney not coming along with the Nespresso. What a ripoff.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully, at this early stage in learning Tai Chi, the instructor talks us through each move and names it.

      Delete
  7. Good to see you here! And three cheers on the Tai Chi -- learning something new is always a good thing!

    Your ice photos are gorgeous. While I'm not fan of ice, when the trees get that Narnia look, I just am in awe of the beauty. Don't you love Louise Penny? And the Durrells? I'll watch that again. Loved the book, too. And Victorian Slum House -- so good. And glad to know G&F are back. Maybe we'll binge on that this weekend. Although it's the last season -- I'll hate to see it go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our Netflix is behind what is offered on American Netflix. The way they left Grace and Frankie, there must be another season that we just don't have yet. (The season that I just finished watching had the creating the toilet, "The Rise Up" and then at the end, the two husbands got flooded out of their home and will now have to live at the lake house, too. So I feel like there must be another season).

      Delete
  8. Sometimes blogging does take a back seat to life, and that’s OK because when a blogger returns there is usually much to share as you did in this post. The Nespresso is something we would likely not buy because counter space is limited in our apt. We switched out our old coffee maker for a combo one that includes a single cup/pod and while handy we don’t only use it sparingly, still nice to have the choice. I have not seen any of the shows on your list, my preferences are on Acorn TV streaming where I’ve been known to binge watch a few shows. Pea soup is absolutely my all-time favorite next to the butternut squash made this last weekend. Both are so comforting and delicious😋 Ice storms are beautiful but can be hard to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much for the new coffee gadgets. I still drink my instant coffee. As for the TV programs, I watch Blue Blood, reruns of Law & Order, MeTV (old TV shows), BUZZ (old game shows), Food Channel, NCIS, Project Runway, just to name a few. I don't have much use for most of today's TV fare. Someone mentioned Rosamunde Pilcher's books. I read them all. I loved all of her books. Your photos are wonderful. I love taking those kind of photos too. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch Law and Order! I can still hear that opening "Ta Dum!" sound.

      Delete
  10. Always glad to see a blog entry from you, Jenn. I am going to try to hunt down "Back in Time for Winter". I haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see last year's Back in Time for dinner? I really enjoyed that. This one is just another take on that one.It's on CBC.

      Delete
  11. We have some favorites in common, I see. We don't have TV service, just get DVDs and watch them so we're always behind the curve. We love Schitt's Creek, and the Corfu one we've seen a couple epsodes. We really enjoyed Doc Martin, Good Neighbor, Fools and Horses, and the American shows Castle...a couple others i cant recall. We were watching Shetland but the last one we watched was so dark, and the story keeps going on and on until you forget the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Shetland on Netflix and then found out who the author was and read those. Loved the books!

      Delete
  12. I just binge-watched the whole last season of The Durrells in Corfu. I know it was a true story, but I wished it had a happier ending! Also thrilled to hear their will be another Louise Penny book next fall. I first heard about her from your blog and have become an avid fan, as has my Mom. Stay warm up there in the North!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you tried Penny and like her books. Don't you find that you want to eat what they eat when they all gather together at the café?

      Delete
  13. I'm with you, on not being a joiner. However, I did take a beginning tai chi class on Saturday mornings and really liked it. I was disappointed when it was not continued. Louise Penny is a fabulous writer - it's like reading a ten layer dense chocolate cake. I do not watch tv so all of the above are a mystery to me. I do watch the occasional DVD but they tend to be documentaries or animation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of describing her writing! I am not sure I could be someone who doesn't watch any tv. I admit, I do enjoy my tv time when it's something I'm looking forward to.

      Delete
  14. Hey Jenn :) The photos are so pretty! I love seeing the ice on the trees, though I don't like what it does to them sometimes and to the power lines!! I have a Tassimo, and it was fun for a while, but the pods are kind of expensive so I went back to my old crappy coffee maker lol...I hope you enjoy yours! The different kinds of coffees are fun and I used to love making the cappuccinos!! Tai Chi, that's pretty cool! I hope you enjoy it! Alex downloaded the entire series of Schitt's Creek, we've watched all but the last season now. I love that show, but then I was a huge SCTV fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVED SCTV! I still quote the occasional thing - remember Tex and Edna's organ emporium? Free budgie bird when every purchase! Oh, don't get me started...

      Delete
    2. OMG don't get me started either or I'll be doing the Dr Tongue's 3D House of Pancakes bit lol...Tex and Edna Boyle's Curio Emporium and Prairie Warehouse lol ;)

      Delete
    3. "with" every purchase - ugh! You made me smile with your references as well. How about Edith Prickley?

      Delete
    4. Ha ha ha...my goal in high school was to do my best Edith Prickley imitation! I even had the leopard skin jacket! Alex has the entire series (including the short lived NBC series) on CD. When I first met him in 2013 and I asked him about his sense of humour, he said SCTV. It was laugh at first sight hee hee. We watch them a lot, they never get boring!

      Delete
  15. I'm so late reading and commenting here! Ugh, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all my favorite blogs, and yours is definitely one of them.

    Regarding Grace & Frankie - heck with Grace's wardrobe. I want her BODY.

    I must be a real weirdo. I haven't watched even one of the programs/shows you listed. I always say I'm gonna start ordering a movie a week from Netflix but then always choose to either do handwork or read. So many good books, so little time.

    I tried Tai Chi once. Couldn't stand the s-l-o-w pace of it. Started running (jogging, really) and found that much more to my liking. We're all different, aren't we. (Good thing, too!)

    Great, interesting post. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenn your pictures are gorgeous. LOL on the tai chi good luck have fun with it.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a great gift from your kids! The Nespresso machine makes amazing coffee. One of our neighbours has it and I enjoy going over just for the coffee :)

    We are presently watching Grace and Frankie. And really enjoying it! It's a fun show that adds a little humour to issues that people deal with. It's very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blog through NANA DIANE TAKES A BREAK. It's always fun (for me) to see how people in other countries are like and different from me:) The pictures of the ice remind me of the only ice storm I have ever experienced. It was when I was in high school and although it caused lots of problems it was beautiful. It's usually much too warm here in GA, USA to have much ice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. we PVR AGT for our granddaughter Vivian...she loves it!!
    We also love The Chateau...found a continuance of it on CBC weekdays at 3...Angel and Dick help other Chateau renovators!!
    Watched Corrie for over 45 years...gave it up about 2 years ago...
    We loved Peaky Blinders on Netflix...and enjoying Bosch on Prime!!
    Thanks for your visits Jenn...It has been a rough one for me and my
    family...I hope to share my story soon...still working thru things...
    Enjoy your week...
    cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The icy trees are so pretty. Ice storms are scary and we have been through a couple here in years past. Would you believe, out of all the programs listed, only America's Got Talent have we watched. We are not watching it now because they are showing all the previous winners. My husband controls the remote. It's sports and old westerns with a little news and weather, period! I have a small TV in the sewing room, in case there is something I want to watch. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now I am going to have to google Invisalign!
    I love Grace and Frankie. It would be fantastic to be Grace but i'm definitely more of a Frankie. Have you watched The Kominsky method? That's very good too. Never seen Michael Douglas looking so sexy.

    ReplyDelete