Thursday 25 October 2018

Real Men Eat Quiche, or he did tonight, anyway, and so did I

I'm going to show you the end result first. Holy man, it was good!!


I've been feeling like I've been making the same old thing fairly often for supper. I was thinking I was going to make potato and leek soup tonight, which I've featured before, but I got home from supper later than usual and knew I wouldn't have enough time for it to be really good, so I took mental stock of what I had in the fridge and thought... quiche!

Remember those pie crusts I made a while ago? Apart from the pumpkin pie, the others were in the freezer. I took one out.



I had mushrooms in the fridge and started to fry some in a little butter.


I added a half a chopped onion to the mushrooms and fried them all until the onions were soft and the mushrooms were a bit browned.


Mmmmm, bacon.


I still had some of this shredded cheese left from a previous recipe.


Eggs aren't a problem anymore, always have some on hand. I used four. They got beaten up with a can of evaporated milk (I didn't have any cream). Salt, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg, and then I poured the mixture over the cut up bacon, onions, cheese, and mushrooms.


The quiche went into a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes (it didn't seem quite set in the middle after 30), then it sat on the counter for a few minutes. It was SOOO good and it was easy because I had everything on hand. Dinner is served.

19 comments:

  1. I don't like mushrooms, but I bet it was good. I have often thought that my husband would never eat a quiche, but I made one with sausage, bacon, cheese, and green onions and he did eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Jenn....marvelous for an autumn brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful. I don't make quiche, but I do Spanish tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love quiche! It's an easy filling supper when the cupboard is a little on the bare side. Leftover broccoli is another ingredient that goes well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love quiche, leftovers are good served cold the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks scrumptious - I could eat quiche every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think men will eat pretty much anything....at least if it's got cheese and/or bacon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My "go to" dish is frittata which is basically a quiche without the pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so hungry after reading this. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! Sometimes the best meals are the ones that we throw together with what we have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh mercy but that sounds/looks delicious!!!!!!

    Wish I could eat gluten. Not being able to, cuts out so many things. But my gut is so much happier this way, so I really can't complain.

    ✨✨✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having the pastry case done certainly helps on the time. I must try that. I tend to freeze the lump of spare pastry but your idea is far more sensible. The end result looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven’t made Quiche for ages!
    Good job!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you have me thinking about quiche for dinner this week although I would include some zucchini we have in the fridge or perhaps broccoli. How nice also to have fresh eggs available. Your dinner result looks as good as you said it tasted, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love quiche! Unfortunately, eggs are in scant supply these days - drat the short days - and I refuse to buy store eggs. That quiche looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quiche looks to die for. I love it and don't get to make it enough. Are those your personal chicken eggs? Now I might have to do this for the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy.
    Quiches, Frittata … eggs are a winner!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete