Saturday 23 June 2018

Guardian Angel?

Friday evening came with complete and total exhaustion. I normally do the cooking and we've been severely cutting back on eating out, but since husband and I were alone for this evening (both kids working, or out), we went out to a "local" restaurant for good, simple food and a beer. It was much needed.

After supper, we just drove around a little. It's amazing how you can live somewhere for as many years as we have and still find roads you've never travelled on. We drove past a farm that seemed to have every kind of animal - cows, goats, sheeps, horses, and a llama. Stop the car! I needed to spend some time animal watching. So husband turned around and pulled over. I put the car window down. Every animal seemed totally contented, eating grass, and none of them were making a sound. I really wanted to hear the goats and the sheep.

I took a picture of some of the animals, including the llama. It saw our car and heard me talking, and it came closer and closer and closer. Here is a succession of pictures of the Guardian Llama, clearly on the job.




This llama was no doubt a guardian animal. It had no qualms about getting closer to our vehicle. If you are not familiar with the concept of a guardian animal, many farmers use llamas as protection for their sheep or other livestock as llamas will alert livestock to a predator, such as a coyote. Llamas will also physically ward off a predator. Some even get to know their people so well, that they will chase away other humans. This llama didn't seem particularly aggressive, more curious.

Sometimes I just need animal therapy. I love seeing a flock of sheep, or a herd of cattle in the grass, or even wild turkeys strutting their stuff in the mornings on my way to work. If money were no object, I would love a little hobby farm. But money, and time, is a consideration, so presently it is two cats. I am, however, toying with the idea of having a small flock of chickens again. Husband seems to be on board. There are just things that need improving with the chicken coop (which is still standing on our property), and putting in a water line so I am not lugging buckets of water through thigh-high snow.

So, here's the question: if you had an animal guardian, what would it be? I think I might choose some muscular sleek big cat, like a panther or cougar to protect me (do cougars purr?).

41 comments:

  1. How nice to drive and see what is new to you in your area. I just found a garden called Chantecleer right in my area and I had not heard of it. Is great to find new places on your doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited your blog and had a look. It is a beautiful place!

      Delete
  2. Yes big cats purr just like their domestic cousins. My guardian would be what I have to protect my goats. Sherman and Yarrow my Great Pyrenees guardian dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drive past a sheep farm with a guardian dog that I think is a Great Pyrenees. It looks like one of the sheep.

      Delete
  3. I already have a guardian animal - it's Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, no one is yappier and more protective than my tiny chihuahua. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I have a bit of fear of small dogs. Yappy and nippy. Give me a big waggy tailed smiley dog, instead. (No offence to your little dog, who I'm sure is well loved!)

      Delete
  5. I love animals and the whole pastoral community. I grew up surrounded by farms and fields and animals. Llamas are so gentle looking, like giraffes! I had no idea they were protectors, but that's nice to know. i wasn't sure of their qualitative purpose.

    I think its great you and hubby went off the radar to enjoy some peaceful time!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also grew up in the country. It is where I am the happiest.

      Delete
  6. I've watched sheep,and they take turns in being lookout!
    Apparently Alpacas are better tempered than Llamas..less spitting...and still as good against foxes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the alpacas. I've visited an alpaca farm. They are wonderful animals.

      Delete
  7. It seems like you had quite a renewing moment with those animals. Nature in all forms is such a balm, well except for insects. My two fur girls guard me against anything flying in the insect form, my being there is no barrier to the hunt. Horses complete me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a firm believer in the healing power of nature. Sometimes when things are getting to be too much, I go outside and stand barefoot in the grass (weather permitting).

      Delete
  8. Oh I would choose that llama as my guardian! What a beautiful animal. I had no idea they were so protective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rather nice llama. I prefer alpacas, they are a bit smaller.

      Delete
  9. If we had a guard animal it would definitely be a large outside dog. Well, of course, we couldn't have one by him/herself; it would have to be two of them.

    Years ago we had a donkey, Coco, who lived with our small dairy goat herd. She was a great guard animal.

    There are many people who believe Nature is a healing balm and when we don't experience it often enough, we suffer. For some reason, I've been drawn to the fully leafed out trees lately. I find myself standing looking out or up at them and gaining a certain kind of peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I not know you had dairy goats? You should write a post about them, and your donkey. I'd love to hear more.

      Delete
  10. Wow I did not know that about Llama's how cool is that! He is a cutie. I agree sometimes just looking at animals makes you smile. Happy Sunday and have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your little road trip. What a nice area!
    We've got dogs (Great Pyrenees) to guard the sheep. They're quite protective of both the animals and the humans.
    Years ago we had a llama, but she was old and cantankerous and the sheep began to get on her nerves and she would chase them around. Eventually, she went to live on a "llama retirement farm" (really) not far from here.
    I would love to have a donkey. But, I will never gonna convince my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really enjoy reading about your dogs. That's funny that you said your llama (really) went to a retirement farm. I did sound like a euphemism!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, that should have said "it sounded like a euphemism".

      Delete
  12. In the Harry Potter books I read to my kids, some wizards had what they called Patronus's. The could conjure them up in a pinch and they would protect. Each of us picked our Patronus out at the time. Mine was a hippo.....cut as can be but no one would mess with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very familiar with all things Harry Potter! Hippo is a good choice. I heard some statistics (which of course I forget now), but they had to do with how many people are killed by hippos in the Nile River. They are not to be messed with, for sure!

      Delete
  13. I am with you. Sometimes I also need animal therapy! And I really adore llamas. There is something to cute and joyful about them. My guardian animal would be a white tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on animal therapy. Lizzie has heard too many stories, licked too many tears off her fur. If she could talk she'd blab. There are good things about a pet therapist. I love the llama. I think I have a Guardian Gypsy. Not that he would have been much good in an emergency. Probably a Guardian Collie, which -- come to think of it -- is what I had as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either one sounds like a great (albeit not too scary) guardian animal.

      Delete
  15. I do love my guardian llama, Apria, but she is getting up there and mostly blind. However, she would not tolerate a co-guardian at this point in her life, so I just shore up my fences and hope that her other senses will make up the difference! Next time around, I would go for a Great Pyr or other LGD. Although, if I could be guaranteed that I would not become dinner, I would love to have a lion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love animals and this llama is so adorable! I enjoyed the photos :-) Hope your week is off to a great start and you have a good afternoon!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. It would have been a wonderful ride after having the evening food. I love to ride on new roads and explore new things. Beautiful to see the place with barn, animals and windmill at the back. Llama looks beautiful. It gives beautiful poses for the picture:)

    ReplyDelete