Friday 19 April 2024

Friday April 19, 2024

 Just a quick post to let you know I’m still alive and kicking. The rain stopped and the sun is trying to break through. Here are moments captured from my outdoor foray to check for eggs:




The dandelions are starting to bloom. We don’t spray the lawn. The bees are happy.


One of three forsythia shrubs around the property. Having cut it back last summer, it has a good show this year.


Most of the girls, wondering if I have food for them. Their run is very muddy. I’ve laid down some partial sheets of plywood to keep them out of the mud ( and a spot to set their food and water dishes). I’ll be glad when it dries up a bit.


As always, I am joined by chief inspector and assistant, Murphy. He helped rake up branches and spruce cones after our mighty winds. (Scooter was sleeping comfortably in the house).


My little apple tree is putting forth lovely fat buds. I sprayed it ( and my little pair tree) with dormant oil and sulphur just a short while ago because last year both of them suffered from some sort of blight or fungus as well as insect damage. I don’t spray anything else, but I really want to see what can be produced on these fruit trees this year.

I’m just about to dye my roots ( it is time!). Have a fun / productive/ restful / enjoyable ( whatever you require) weekend!

20 comments:

  1. Scooter has the right idea! Murphy works too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get some apples and pears this year. Dandelions are sprouting here too, I try removing them rather than spraying but very seldom manage to get the whole tap root.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murphy has pizazz! It's fun to see the chickens and all your beautiful trees and bushes. Spring is here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually had pear blossoms last year. No pears, but at least we had blossoms.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very late snow last year that killed the pear blossoms, but I did have about six apples ( with worms!).

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see the fruit on the tree you posted. Fingers crossed. And for me, I'm all about yellow during spring and summer. LOVE IT! Hope your weekend rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your fruit trees produce well. We all benefit from a good supply of fresh fruit in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your intervention is successful and you get some apples and pears. Big 'uns, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures...so very good to see green again. The rain, which was badly needed, has finally stopped and the sky is clearing here now.
    Have a lovely weekend. Just love that Murph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm responding the next morning and it is very lightly snowing!! Ughh.

      Delete
    2. Same here, yesterday. The weather liars had promised a sunny day! It was cold and windy, and snow pellety....

      Delete
  9. Spring has arrived for you! Hooray! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you do get fruit this year.
    It is a relief when dandelions show...we've made it! Even if we do get cold weather still

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why does everyone want to get rid of the dandelions ? They give colour to the lawn. Or maybe no one wants colour, except green.
    Nice to see the girls and Murphy on patrol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many people for whom a yellow dandelion bloom is the devil. They only want grass. Thick, green grass. That will never be our lawn.

      Delete
  12. Spring has definitely sprung, so nice to see! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so nice to see the buds and blooms! It was chilly here today but it will warm up again soon (I hope!)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing signs of spring here. We are already harvesting from our gardens. I had to drop straw in my chicken run. It was a muddy mess, and we are going to get more rain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to see this post from you. Spring is being bipolar this year! 86 the other day. And 34 predicted tonight. Its nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This time of year is always so muddy. Dandelions make a wonderful wine. I let them go nuts in the orchard. The bigger the better. My apples are starting to leaf out also.

    ReplyDelete