Wednesday 13 December 2023

Cookies - December 13, 2023

 This Saturday, we will be having our "Christmas" dinner and some present exchange with just our immediate family, as two of them will be elsewhere in the province on the actual Christmas day. For that reason, I baked early and purchased early. On Monday night, we all gathered round to do what is now our annual decorating of gingerbread and sugar cookies. 

We are a funny, sarcastic, and traditional bunch, so when we do our cookie decorating, we see what we can create out of the traditional shapes of trees, bells, ornaments, holly, stars, candy canes. I am super prepared (ha!) with all of my technical decorating tools, those being little zip lock bags of coloured icing with the tip of the bag cut off, so you can "pipe" the icing, some sprinkles, and toothpicks for precision. I must say that this year's icing was superior to other years, so I have Tiktok and my daughter to thank for that. I also realized I am now out of green food colouring, so we had to make our own.


From the left is son, "soon"-to-be son-in-law, and daughter. They are all looking very dedicated to the task at hand. Christmas village is in the background (I went with three levels this year, and no Lego figures).


Catching husband in the act of eating one of the "allowed" cookies. I made other cookies for eating to preserve the ones we were currently working on. We had rum and eggnog whilst decorating.


Most of the gang. Phones were used for images to copy on the cookies.


As you can see, some cookies are traditional (stars, trees, present, ornament) and others are interpretive (snake, cat, skeleton, whatever that swirly white and green thing is...).


Cookie Monster is featured in the lower left (all the while, son complaining that we should have black icing), the Leg Lamp (minus the benefit of yellow icing) , and others. 


Things got a bit political, as some Canadians might recognize some symbols. I won't reveal which ones were celebrated and which ones were scoffed at. As well, please note the Canadian Tire symbol! The gnome cookie is an ode to daughter who despises all the gnome products out there ("friggin' gnomes"). 


Compliments to daughter who took things seriously at the end and created this beauty (there was another one in white and red). I told her it could be a side hustle if the need ever arose. 

The cookies were laid out to set and dry and are now safely packed away in the freezer for future eating. I really love these family times and am very fortunate to have my adult kids close by, as not everyone has this. I get a bit maudlin at this time of year and hope that in the future such traditions will continue within their own families and they will reminisce fondly. 

36 comments:

  1. Those cookies are awesome, LOL! Hard to pick a favourite among them, they're all so creative. And yes, your daughter did a beautiful feathering job on the blue-and-white cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn’t even know it was called feathering! So now I can sound even more professional!

      Delete
  2. The cookies are fun! I probably would have been eating the allowed cookies as my ability to decorate is minimal. Your daughter is definitely talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely no ability required here! We spilled two containers of sprinkles!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful tradition. There's so much fun and happiness when family get together. Those photos make me feel all warm and fuzzy!
    Great decorating. Hidden talent there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics... and looks like a fun event. Do hope you can continue to carry on the tradition. I carry on my MIL's tradition of making Christmas goodies and mailing them out to the kids and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great family cookie tradition. It all looks like fun. Nice work and the creative designs are excellent. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun activity. My adult daughter carries on some of our traditions with my grand. It always makes just a tiny bit weepy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cookies, and also the family pictures. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great in that photo! And all your lovely family. I could just eat some of those cookies right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the skeleton although it's not very Christmassy. That's a lovely tradition. The only one we have that has endured for 50-odd years is flambeing the plum pudding. Now the grandkids get to set it alight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband’s family used to do the lighting of the plum pudding.

      Delete
  10. Hmmm, I almost wish the boys would be home early enough to decorate cookies. Mind you they wouldn't really help me when younger either. They all did very well even the political ones.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not really something boys would gravitate towards but these guys are good sports for doing it.

      Delete
  11. A great tradition and a lovely batch of cookies. And, your daughter and you look very alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it in this picture but I don’t always see it. Our son looks a lot like his grandfather when he was his age.

      Delete
  12. I love this tradition, Jenn. I remember it from past years, and always love seeing what you guys create.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun! It's nice to see that kids don't have to grow up! I used to do a lot of Christmas cookie baking when my kids were little. Now I try to bake a different of our favorites each week and tuck a half-dozen or so away in the freezer. That gives us a nice variety for Christmas Eve, without too many to eat! Especially since now it's just Dan and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freeze mine, too, so they aren’t gone before it’s actually time to eat them.

      Delete
  14. Those cookies look amazing and everyone looks so happy. It's a lovely tradition which I too remember seeing here before. The group photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! I am still dealing with deviled eggs for Christmas Eve Brunch at my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we're twins, part of our family are away at Christmas, so we're getting together this Saturday as well. Love the cookies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will have a green early Christmas gathering. Hope yours is lots of fun!

      Delete
  17. Wow! I really love your family! Love that they are so creative, that they don't take life seriously (or maybe they do -- they sure take decorating seriously!) and have this wonderful tradition. We've done Christmas Eve-ish cookies (depending on the day "Christmas Eve" ends up being) since Greg and Kevin came into my life and now with the grands. Greg had "the stuff" to fit in with your family but the rest of us were all pretty routine. I think we might have to up our game. These really are fabulous and such fun. Right now you are having your celebration so I hope it is as wonderful as the cookies! Merriest, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't decorating cookies a blast? My husband and I always have fun decorating cookies, but I'm always amazed at how tired I am after. Your cookies look divine and is sounds like great family fun.

    ReplyDelete