Sunday 29 March 2020

Two Weeks In

It has now been two full weeks that we have stayed put. No going anyway. Not even to get groceries because we stocked up very well before this all started to shut down. As I've said, this has not been a surprise to husband who has been following things for weeks now (news junkie).

Yesterday we took advantage of nice weather and did some yard work. That consisted of hauling rocks from just outside our property line to on our property. If I could just go back in time and take back that two seconds where I hauled on that rock that was wedged in the ground. If I could just NOT have tried to pull on that rock (which I didn't, incidentally, get out of the ground anyway), then I would not have felt that nasty "twang" round about my sternum. I would not have thought in my head, "Oh sh*t!" upon feeling that twang. But alas there is no going back in time and rethinking my actions. What is done is done. I am now dealing with pulled chest muscles which result in pain upon trying to lift, pain upon taking a deep breath (NO, it is not covid-19 - trust me I know what I did), pain upon heaving myself up from the bed or the couch. Ughhhhhhhh!! I know. I know, it could be worse. But I know the recovery time for this is going to impede my plans for raking up spruce cones, cutting back perennials that overwintered in the beds, and whatever other yard work I would have liked to tackle in the upcoming weeks.

The rest of my world is pretty much the same. I make food, I take care of the chickens, I putter around. Anyone else doing a whole lot of this?


This is my little routine in the morning. Get up, feed cat, make coffee (note the hedgehog mug), read blogs, play a couple of rounds of solitaire games.


Isn't this a pretty colour? This was a breakfast smoothie sometimes this week. Couldn't even tell you what day. Now that I'm not physically leaving and going to work, one day is the same as the next (will this be what retirement is like?). The smoothie was a combination of frozen banana, blueberries, and strawberries with yogurt, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a little vanilla protein powder. Usually I blend a handful of spinach in there, but the last little bit was past its usability stage, so it went to the hens instead.

I know what you've all been waiting for... puzzle progress in three installments!!




This was a borrowed puzzle from a co-worker, so thanks to whoever loaned that to me. This was much nicer to put together with lots of words that were easy to find and not too many repeating groups of flowers or leaves.  I really have to pace myself. Another teacher friend reminded me that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Good point.

It's Sunday night, that means three fantastic shows (can't watch them all at once, but recording to watch later) - Outlander, Island of Bryan, and Curse of Oak Island (I just KNOW tonight they'll find the treasure!!) I hope everyone out there is heeding all warnings and staying home. Just stay home. We'll get through this if we all just take is seriously and STAY HOME (if you can) And for those of you who have to leave your home to go to work - because you are a pharmacist, or you are stocking the shelves at the grocery store, or you are making food for take out, or you are driving an ambulance, or you are on the front lines in health care trying your best to keep people calm and well while trying to remain the same, I thank you.
The bottom line is all the clothes in the world, all the pretty home décor items, all the manicures and haircuts and glasses of wine, all the cars and vacations and fancy technology means absolutely nothing if you don't have your health. If you woke up this morning and breathed on your own, you are doing better than some people right now, and so... please everyone be safe, think of others, we'll get through this, eventually. Take care. Big virtual hugs to all.

39 comments:

  1. I know exactly the kind of pain you are talking about with your injury. I have done this about four times. Very, VERY painful! Be careful NOT to get sick, as can you imagine the pain with serious coughing? I hope you heal quickly. Sometimes it helps me to use a hot water bottle while sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've had something similar to this before, when I had such a severe cough that I damaged the cartilage between my ribs. That was worse than this, but this is bad enough. I'm kind of a chronic cougher anyway (always seem to have some kind of sinus thing going on - just part of who I am), so even my little chronic cough (No, not covid-19), hurts. That's another reason I don't go out, with my chronic cough, I'd have people either running away or shooting my dirty looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you as a retiree, that not always knowing what day it is can be par for the course. I haven't resorted to online solitaire just a cross-stitch app - which is ridiculous because I could be doing actual cross-stitch and have something to show for it. I dug a puzzle out of the closet but we have yet to break the cellophane. We are lacking motivation around here.

    I hope you heal quickly, and get back to puttering in the yard. (Yes, puttering, and not so much the heavy labor.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cross-stitch app?? I didn't even know they existed! There are a lot of unmotivated people out there - I think it is because this is such a surreal situation - perhaps we're all in a bit of shock. Thank you for leaving a comment. I believe both you and farm buddy (above) are new to my blog, so welcome!

      Delete
    2. You might like to check out "Off the grid needle arts" a really lovely cross stitch podcast from Canada.😁

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I feel your pain! I have messed up my right arm and right back rib area chopping and heaving chunks of ice.
    I watched Landscape Artist of the Year on Makeful earlier. Tried to watch Portrait artist, but it's not something I do myself so rapidly lost interest. Trying to sit down and watch Oak Island!
    I do jigsaw puzzles online. No unoccupied flat surfaces in my house to do a real paper puzzle in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a right sorry bunch, aren't we? That's what comes from not being afraid of hard work (mind you, moderation would go a long way...) I have tried online puzzles, I need to pick up the pieces and move them around.

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your injury... and these things happen before our brains tell us “don’t!” DH does both the solitaire and the puzzles. And yes, this is somewhat like retirement, except for the added anxiety that you are going to get sick and die. I do find myself being grateful for each healthy day..
    so stay home and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jenn, so sorry for your injury! Sending you good wishes to heal soonest and completely. I love that puzzle. I should find a puzzle to do. But I have been doing watercolor every day and that is fun for me. I guess I'm lucky because I am fairly introverted, according to the myers-briggs tests. I stay at home a lot, especially because my right hip needs replacing and it's painful to walk much. But there are lots of work outs on YouTube that can be done seated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it heals quickly. Congrats on completing another jigsaw puzzle -- you have so much more patience than I do. I once had an argument with a coworker about whether "Curse of Oak Island" would legitimately turn up treasure in the long run (her position) or whether it was just a stupid exercise in B.S. (my position). I can't believe the series is STILL running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it's Monday, at noon, and I can add that , no, they did not find the treasure - but I KNOW they're close!! ;)

      Delete
  8. Playing a lot of scrabble (Words With Friends) on WhatsApp, it's very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a word game on my phone. I also play "Hay Day". My kids think it's silly "nobody does Hay Day anymore, Mom".

      Delete
  9. Thanks for that virtual hug - did me good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your blog every day, Weav! I "feel" like I know you.

      Delete
  10. Oh well, at least you've got time on your hands to sit around while that chest muscle heals! I like the jigsaw. My day starts with a cup of tea and reading blogs and then a couple of codewords.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you you have got to spend more time being a couch potato or you'll get jabbed by that power above.
    Hope all the TV programmes entertain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your injury heals soon. I love this latest puzzle. I have tons of jig saw puzzles on my laptop and I enjoy doing them. Yes, I stay in with my little dog. We are bound to come through this thing safely. You stay safe too, and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your little dog is happy to have you close by!

      Delete
  13. So sorry about the pulled muscle. Just when we think we have this stay at home thing sorted, something else crops up. Take care and rest, and, as another blogger said this morning, "get used to there being no urgency to get things done." Funny that you wondered if this is what retirement will be like. In some ways yes. Getting used to NOT getting dressed with hair and make-up done, and
    then facing a classroom of excitable students, joking with colleagues... that took some getting used to for me. But then there's that second cup of tea in the morning while I read my e-mail and decide what to do with my day. I usually have a "draft" weekly schedule that can change at my whim, which is wonderful. If it dawns sunny and lovely, I can head downtown instead of doing it later in the week. etc. If it's snowing I can choose to curl up with my book. It's the freedom to choose that is so wonderful... and that's what is different about this situation and normal retirement. Hope you feel better soon, in time for the sunshine and warmth that HAS to be coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These last couple of weeks (and the months of job action / strike that led up to them) have been a double edged sword. I think of the very few months I have left until I can fully retire and often feel relief, but now, I really miss my colleagues. I miss being able to talk things through with them, and get their take on what we should be doing right now (still have no definite direction from the board), and I think about them and their families. I'm definitely going to be one of those people for whom retirement will take a big adjustment period. The comment about no urgency to get things done is also tough for me, as you well remember, I'm used to a schedule and deadlines.
      Thanks for the comment, Sue!

      Delete
  14. Yes lots of online solitaire played here, well I've already cleaned the oven and washed the windows. Enjoying Youtube too, though fashion and make up seem a bit pointless, for me getting showered dressed is enough. Keep safe and keep well

    ReplyDelete
  15. You said this so well. An incredibly powerful and well written post.

    Except for the part about the injury... that sounds just GRIM. And such a bad time to do it -- not just spring but there's not even anywhere you can go that could help you with something to alleviate the discomfort. I'm so sorry.

    I don't that solitaire you have up. But well done on the puzzle. I'm more on the computer than I should be. Last night it was Death in Paradise and Call the Midwife. A new Masterpiece starts next week. Will we ever want to see video again when this is done?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having a routine..and not overdoing it...bit late for that advice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lovely jigsaw puzzle. As was the last. Are you out now? I cannot put them together, but I do like to admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenn, you're right, the fact that we woke & took a deep breath is a blessing. It reminds me of the movie The Croads "still alive" is what they call out first thing in the morning. So sorry you hurt yourself. rest take care, you don't want a trip to the ER right now. I play 7 games of solitaire after breakfast, that's my daily allowable limit. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, Stay Home !....so Life saving health workers can work as needed and not be overwhelmed with rising numbers.
    I try to do 4 things every day
    Something creative..... knitting ,crochet, sewing
    Something productive... made container gardens for food seedlings
    Some exercise..........walking, yoga
    Some cooking.....,,,,,,all meals, baking
    Stay safe and enjoy this slow time.

    Worrying is like rocking chair time, something to do but doesn't achieve anything

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Jenn! What a drag. And Murphy's Law that just when the zeal to takes you to do something grand, you've now the prospect of the complete opposite for the foreseeable future ... I got a flu shot yesterday and did some food shopping, so that was my big highlight for the week. But it's kind of business as usual for me. Except that I have to check what day it is. Living in an apartment block means there are people about in the laundry and at the clothes lines and what not but the chatting is at a respectful and respectable distance ... These times are certainly unfolding differently for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pang! Tang! The spells pain for me.

    given that we are all scrounging to keep busy and be entertained, this is God's way of saying to kick back.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh, I have dealt with that pain! I hope you heal quickly. We're waiting for some decent weather to be able to get out into the garden. So far it's been chilly and rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hugs right back to you!!
    Stay safe...stay home...ouch on the injury...😔

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh no, I know that awful feeling when you feel the twang....I'm sorry, my friend, I hope it heals quickly!! So much work to be done outdoors at this time of year, it's no time to be laid up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They have cancelled the May and June tours on Oak island! We're going in late July. I'm hoping this will all be over. I'm hoping. Yesterday Nova Scotia only had 5 cases. I was optimistic. But today there was 20! Yikes! We're in quarantine at the moment. Our son the flight attendant just came home from Ontario since he's now out of a job. So that means we're here together for 14 days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can you tell how I'm doing lately by the fact that I read your blog when you first posted it and commented. Unfortunately, the comment must have been totally in my head because I sure can't find it here among the others now.

    Actually, we're doing fine in this all this uneasiness. We're well stocked with food and all other necessities and are staying healthy. So sorry for all the others that are not.

    I can identify with your momentary slip of thinking clearly when you hauled on that darn rock. A week ago I didn't want to act like the little old lady who couldn't get the pickle jar open (it was actually a jar of leftovers from the refridge) and badly strained/sprained/pulled something in my right thumb all the way up into the wrist. How stoopid was that? Your owie may be worse because at least I can take a deep breath without pain. Although my thumb sure is slowing me down as I sit here trying to type . . . and eating ice cream out of the carton. :o\

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello beautiful, lovely post and love to you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete