Tuesday 20 August 2019

Oatmeal Eggwhite Pancakes

When I was into "clean eating", I learned how to perfect these. Now I make them because I'm always wanting to use up some more eggs, and they are so darn tasty!

Oatmeal Eggwhite Pancakes

-1/4 cup dry oatmeal (quick cook is fine)
-a dash of water
-3 egg whites
-cinnamon to taste
-fruit for the top if you wish
-choice of syrup
-Pam cooking spray (or some other type of nonstick spray)

First, measure out 1/4 cup of dry oatmeal into a small mixing bowl. I use whatever "quick cook"oatmeal I have on hand - cooks in 1 minute, or instant... it doesn't matter.

Then I pour in a little bit of water that is leftover from the kettle. It's often still warm, which I think helps to soften the oatmeal a bit first. I don't really measure, just enough to wet the oatmeal. Then stir it around with a fork. At this point I also add a few shakes of cinnamon, stirring that in.

I use our own chicken's eggs, so they are probably what would be considered "large" size, but again, it doesn't matter. Do you know the easiest way to separate yolks from whites? Crack your egg and separate it into two halves. Pour the contents of the egg from one half to the other, while letting the whites pour out and keeping the yolk in the half of the shell. It may take a couple of back and forths from shell to shell to fully separate, but it works like a charm. Don't worry if a little yolk gets in there. Either dispose of the yolks or keep for some other purpose in the fridge.

Stir the egg whites in with the oatmeal, water, and cinnamon. Mix with a fork until thoroughly combined.

Use a small nonstick frying pan. My nonstick frying pans aren't always nonstick, so I spray it with Pam. I generally spray the frying pan and have a little heat under it to get it hot while I'm making the mixture.

Pour your mixture into the frying pan and allow it to cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes. DO NOT TRY TO FLIP IT UNTIL IT IS NICE AND SET, ALMOST A LITTLE BIT CRISPY AROUND THE EDGES.  Honestly, just let it sit in the frying pan and cook. Walk away, check your phone, feed the cat... don't try to flip it if it's still a little bit soft and runny.

When it is browning up and the edges are a little crispy / firm, use a wide spatula to flip it, just once. This side won't take nearly the same amount of time to cook, so just give it a minute or so. It should come off looking like this:


This is not a light fluffy, cakey type pancake. It has the nice nutty texture of the oatmeal and an almost custard quality to the eggwhites. It's as if an oatmeal cookie married a custard.

Depending on the season, I might slice strawberries on it, or have fresh blueberries. However, right now it's peach season, so this is about half a peach cut up, with two tablespoons of maple syrup (actual maple syrup). For those of you who might be concerned, the pancake itself is 126 calories. Shown my way with the syrup and a half a peach it is 265 calories altogether.

Speaking of peaches, why is there such a limited window of opportunity when it comes to peaches?? One day they are sitting there, all lovely and pinky orange, just perfectly ripe and ready to eat, juice dripping down your chin. The next day they are moldy and grey at one end. I do take them out of the basket after I buy them and set them separately on a large serving platter. Doesn't seem to matter. Don't tell anyone, but I just cut off the yucky end and eat the rest! (But I wouldn't serve that one to you if you came for a visit).

24 comments:

  1. Peaches! Don't talk to me about peaches. My Rare One went berserk at Costco yesterday. Now I have a bunch of peaches to do something with -- and pretty quickly, as you note. I think I must make a peach galette. Or two. Or six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever canned peaches? Pretty easy, in terms of canning. Maybe a peach cobbler?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the recipe. I will be trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I was just yesterday talking with a friend and we were bemoaning the fact that a peach will be perfect one day and the next? Just as you described it. Nearly inedible. (Maybe that's the best way to go . . . FAST!)

    Do you know that the cholesterol found in an egg from a battery raised chicken is much, much, much (!) higher than in a free-ranging or backyard raised chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not the least bit concerned about cholesterol - and I've never thought eggs were the devil. The egg white makes them more fluffy and custardy. Peaches - I do love them though, especially at this time of year!

      Delete
  4. oh boy, I have a soft spot for pancakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind these are a little different than your typical "flapjack" type pancake.

      Delete
  5. Yum!

    Yeah...peaches go fast. There's a Star Trek episode where T'Pol keeps hers in stasis. :) haha, even in the future they go fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know that episode -husband might be familiar with it.

      Delete
  6. That's a tasty sounding recipe. As for peaches, they do have a half life of a day. So, gorge yourself while that peck basket is full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will be having more tomorrow (after trimming bits off!).

      Delete
  7. Interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look pretty yummy. Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! I've prefer nectarines to peaches for that very reason, they tend to last bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pancakes look so good! We have pancakes a few times a month. And yeah...the peach thing, no clue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those sound delicious - love your oatmeal cookie/custard description. A friend of mine makes pancakes with mashed bananas and egg and a little cinnamon. They are surprisingly good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been having a lovely time catching upon reading some of your posts. It was very enjoyable. I never realized all the work that went into putting in a pool liner. Well done. I love all your flowers, and I especially enjoy the photos of the chickens. They are beautiful. You haave a wonderful evening, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound good. And I'm right with you on the peaches. I've only had one "good batch" of peaches this season -- then gone. I wonder if it had to do with the late spring and all the excessive rain?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi from Alberta via Deborah. Lovely blog you have here, Jenn! I will be back :) Did you ever try Cloud Bread? Best wishes from this keto cat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete