Monday 28 May 2018

Recipe for Rhubarb

Hello all! I must say I'm proud to be part of a group of red wine with ice drinkers!! Cheers!

Now, onto recipes. I was asked if I could post the recipe for my strawberry / rhubarb crisp (or rhubarb / strawberry crisp, depending on what you like more!). I don't know how to do that fancy attachment business where you could print off a lovely copy of the recipe complete with nutrition facts, so here it is the old fashioned way:

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup butter or margarine (it doesn't matter)
4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (could thaw it a bit and squeeze out the water if it's frozen)
aprx. 2 cups strawberries roughly chopped (fresh or frozen - again squeeze out a bit of water if it is thawing)

1 cup white sugar
2 tblsp cornstarch
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients (flour, br. sugar, oats, cinn.) Cut in butter or margarine and combine with fingers to make it crumbly. Press half of this mixture into a large ungreased baking pan (9 inch).
Combine rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl and spoon over the pressed flour and oat mixture.

In saucepan, combine white sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water and vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes (it should be rather thick). Pour over the fruit. Sprinkle with remaining flour / oat mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for aprx. 1 hour. Nice served with ice cream, but fine on its own.


I hope all of my fellow Ontarians have enjoyed this beautiful blast of summer weather. The lilacs are in bloom and everything smells heavenly.

viburnum bush 


very pale purple lilacs


28 comments:

  1. Thank you! I shall be giving that a try very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous flowers! Did we skip Spring this year? It sure feels like summer now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're definitely into summer...mustn't blink....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe sounds like it will be delicious and those flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red wine with ice?? Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Isn't the smell of lilacs just about the best? If they could only make a perfume that REALLY smelled like lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yummy! Thanks for sharing it. And I LOVE lilacs. I'm so pleased to see them in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds really tasty. I have loads of rhubarb in my garden and it would be a lovely recipe for a special treat

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made me nostalgic for rhubarb. Doesn't grow here

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is fine to put ice in young, light, red wine. The French chill wine like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know the age of this particular wine, as it comes in a box!! Nothing says classy better...

      Delete
  11. Our rhubarb is producing like crazy at the moment, so I'm keen for rhubarb recipes. How much butter does this use? You write 1/2 butter or margarine but what does that mean - I'm a bit confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a mistake, it should have said 1/2 cup butter or margarine. I have gone back in and edited it now. Thanks for finding that.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou so much for the clarification and correction. I shall make it tomorrow - it sounds really lovely.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos of lilacs. I'm very fond of lilacs...they bring back wonderful childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it better using frozen or fresh? I'm wanting to try it after seeing lots of posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, I've made it with both fresh and frozen and it turns out fine either way. I guess it is whatever you have, or whatever is easier for you.

      Delete
  14. Sounds delicious! Wishing I had some rhubarb now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just catching up - this is just the recipe I needed! I have a bumper crop of rhubarb this year and this recipe can be adapted to GF! I drink red wine (usually something lighter and fruitier) with ice in the summer. And proud to say it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't usually admit to it, but I put my red wine in the fridge sometimes.

    The crisp sounds good. I've never actually had rhubarb, but I really want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have lilacs now, too. Smell as good as rhubarb crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Red wine with ice??..i never know people drink That!....i think it is summer right now They skip spring it is verry hot here in Holland ....enjoy the week love Ria x 💜

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm bookmarking this one! It looks delish and my friend Kate gave me some rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lilacs are so lovely ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lilacs are in bloom here as well and the scent is lovely. Years ago I had rhubarb-strawberry pie and enjoyed it, but can recall that a lot of sugar had to be added to take away the sourness of the rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This recipe sounds delicious. I've actually never tried rhubarb before. I think I need to try some this summer.

    ReplyDelete