Sunday 3 December 2017

Go For a Walk

For the past two weekends, my husband and I have decided to spend some time getting out in nature and moving purposefully, for the benefit of both of us. As mother nature is gracing us with tremendously mild weather for the beginning of December, it is still lovely to be out walking on trails.

Two weekends ago, we walked along a lovely set of trails with just regular footwear and our winter coats and gloves. It was windy, but we were quite protected in the woods.



The water is not yet frozen and there is no snow covering the leafy floor.


Bracket fungus always makes me think of my sister. Yes, this is an odd statement. My sister was always far more crafty and artistic than I. When we were young, she had painted a rather large bracket fungus (taken off the tree) by coating each layer with a different colour. That fungus sat in our shared bedroom for years.


Who do you suppose lives here?


I love the sound of water running in little streams.

A couple of days later, it was time to make some comfort food. On the menu that night was leek and potato soup. Here are the ingredients ready to be cooked to a soft consistency and then blended with my hand blender. I loved my previous hand blender so much and used it until it died a noble death. My new one is great, too.


It made tons and I froze half of it. My husband and I had leftovers today for lunch.

Today's hike was even lovelier than the previous weekend. It was much more hilly and part of the route was called "Hardwood Highlands". The weather was wonderful. It is astounding to be snowless and seeing still-green lawns on December 3rd and I am very grateful. The walk helped us both physically and mentally. It is so nice to have this time together now that our kids are older and very independent. It's a great time to talk and solve life's problems.


This is how the trail started, on this beautiful path. We watched red squirrels chase each other through the trees. Red squirrels have very different temperaments than other types of squirrels. They are very cheeky and feisty.


This stump was covered in fungus (?) lichen (?).


Although most of the trail led us through a hardwood forest, there was an area at the end where beautiful, old cedar trees grew and the ground was spongy with their needles.


I love the texture of old cedar bark.


Yours truly in my very old, but well loved L. L. Bean coat and my fetching new hat ala Giant Tiger (a Canadian store). (sounds Canadian doesn't it??)

The trails we walked were part of a conservation area that also has beautiful ponds and rivers with ducks and geese and swans. There are also enclosures featuring interesting birds like various types of pheasants.


I thought this one looked like Phyllis Diller.


25 comments:

  1. It's always harder to get out and about in winter but looks like you enjoyed your walks. Leek and potato soup, one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same in the Surrey Hills and come home to a bowl of homemade soup and even though we didn't have great weather this weekend we made sure we walked both days. I did a double take when I saw you in your red coat. I look very similar in my trusty red Columbia waterproof coat bought in 1998 when my son started school and we walked to and fro every day whatever the weather. I love walking in beautiful landscapes and agree completely about the physical and mental benefits and lots more besides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoying walking in the woods, alas Mr Man is reluctant to even hear the suggestion of a walk. We are very blessed to be living in such a region of diverse landscape - both your walks look lovely. LOL about the bracken & your sister, it really is a good memory. Potato Leek soup is my favourite. Ah fashion from GT Boutique, my favourite. That chicken looks it's having a party hair day ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to see the area where you live. There's something about a good walk at the end of the "nice" weather in a season. You know you just have to savor every second before the snow! It's supposed to be nice today, I think -- I may have to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like Phyllis Diller! Love leek and potato soup, I think I have some in the freezer too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At this moment I am listening to my cat, crated for a vet visit and complaining, three rooms away. I bet he looks like Phyllis, too. This snowless weather is lovely. The seasons are just shifting; it will still be cold or worse next April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful walk and I love some of your closeups of the trees and fungus! That last picture is hysterical....it does remind me of Phyllis Diller...She was a riot, wasn't she?! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. It amazes me that before Europeans came along, all of N America was nothing but forests and other scenes of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just walked in from my walk! Your pics are great - I felt like I was right there! Have a wonderful week, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love leek and potato soup. Simple and so tasty.
    What wonderful places you have to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I especially love to be outdoors this time of year. I like it a little less when the snow is hip deep. You live in such a lovely area - beautiful trees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Make the most of the mild weather! It's supposed to drop into the minus temperatures later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHA! Now that you mention it, it does look like Phyllis Diller :)

    What wonderful trails you have nearby. A terrific way to get some fresh air and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is Phyllis Diller!

    Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I love Phyllis! Very beautiful but probably very loud too ha ha...your trails look so lovely Jenn. I'm glad you got out for some nature therapy. :) Leek and potato soup is wonderful comfort food! PS I love your Tigre Géant hat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Walking is the best form of exercise - and I find walking the trails is a heck of a lot more mentally do-able than any treadmill work. Good for you!

    I love that soup too - haven't made it in years - might give it a go this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you taking advantage of this mild weather! We were having the same here for a few days, but the cold is here now with temps in the teens at night, and single digits predicted early next week. The ground is still bare but it won't be long now, I'm guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, love it, love it. Hubby and I do this kind of thing too. Though we haven't this past Autumn. But during spring and summer. Somehow, we missed fall. Anyway, I enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely area! I'd want to get out in nature that beautiful myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful place to walk and enjoy the outside! ha ha, I remember Phyllis Diller and you are right.......the chicken reminds me of her as well!
    Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry after Christmas as I am just catching up on blog reading.
    Your idea of going out for walks is a great one and something we also enjoy doing together.

    I am just now home after we were away for nearly 3 weeks, not on vacation, but had stops in several states to check on a house we're still hoping to sell, visit with a few friend and celebrate a granddaughter's 1st birthday. We arrived home barely a week before Christmas, but managed to get out little tree up and decorated. We had a wonderful time finally being in our own place to celebrate for the first time in several years.

    I enjoyed reading through some of your recent posts. And I DO know what a holiday parade is like in a small town as we lived in one for many years. It didn't have a holiday parade, but there was one in the town that we went to see.

    Sending best wishes to you for a wonderful year end and a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing you a safe and blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just thinking about you. Post when you can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have a wonderful eye for beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have a beautiful place to walk and that is a cute Diller Bird.

    ReplyDelete