Thursday 17 August 2017

Jiggity Jig

Yesterday, we went to the "big city", well, a big city. Just husband and I. We went to Costco. This is a big deal because we never go to Costco. (It's a big box store where you have to buy a membership and you can buy all kinds of large amounts of things from office supplies to groceries to toys). We had been earlier this summer to renew a very expired membership, but their machine that takes the pictures and produces the membership cards wasn't working, so they sent us home with an official piece of paper saying we had paid.

We decided to officially get our membership cards and have a look around. Because we so very rarely go to Costco, the place still amazes me. The giant boxes of everything just astound me. I am also floored by the prices of food. There was a huge pie for an incredibly good price. Why would you bake???? My husband bought a great brick of old cheddar for the price that we would pay for one half that size. I can see why some people who live right in the city do their regular grocery shopping there.

Costco is also a very dangerous place, to me anyway. You can easily convince yourself that you need the 24 pack of coloured Sharpie markers ( I LOVE Sharpies), or the dual pack of Nutella, or the muffins that are the size of cakes. Heck, you could buy a mattress, or a refrigerator, or a sectional couch. But I have now discovered the best way to go to Costco. You must go there in a little two-seater car, which is what we did.  No back seat and a relatively small trunk completely prevents you from overspending! I actually had to take things out of boxes and throw the boxes away in the parking lot garbage can so they would fit in the trunk! I think the worst way to get to Costco is in a van, or a pickup truck. Then, you likely would leave with a refrigerator.

source

As it turns out, we will never run out of packing tape, I will truly enjoy my Sharpie markers, there is a tray of giant muffins in my fridge, my new slippers are fabulous, we have enough extra strength no name ibuprofen for an infinite amount of headaches, and I've already stashed away the triple pack of goldfish crackers so my son doesn't eat them all in one day.

I am actually very glad that I don't live close to a Costco. I fear my control would be tested.

25 comments:

  1. I wouldn't dare go to a store like that! I love a bargain so goodness knows what I would come home with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Costco has to be one of those stores that I go with a list & keep to it. Hopefully life does not throw you too many needs for the ibuprofen. ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it is amazing, isn't it? I buy my Dunkin' Donuts coffee there in a huge bag-it's about 1/3 less buying it that way. I am not sure I save money going there because I buy stuff I wouldn't KNOW I NEEDED otherwise. lol My good friend goes there for lunch with her hubby about once a week...which I think is kind of funny.

    They make the best pumpkin pie I have ever had. For the first time in my life I bought their pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving last year. They are huge and they are $5. I can't even buy the ingredients for that.

    Have a great weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard they have the best hot dogs (or maybe it was hamburgers). Anyway I don't dare take out a membership!

      Delete
  4. I am so fortunate to walk so poorly. If it's not in the first aisle at Lowes, I go buy it at Ace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There should be an award given to the person who ever manages to shop there and spend less than $100.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I used to feel that way about their predecessor, "Price Club." I always joked that you couldn't get out of there without spending a hundred or two, and that was in the 1980's! :) Hubby goes to Costco on Saturdays; I stay away, for this very reason. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love and hate Costco at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have one anywhere near here which is probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Costco's atmosphere as a business better, but Sams got the only thing I come in for a large quantity; plain lays chips. It's a shame costco doesn't have icees either

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is also a good idea to eat before you go.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Costco! And I know exactly what generic ibuprofen you are speaking of because we just finished a bottle that was about 2 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do have a Costco here in Nashua and we have never been shopping there. But, when we lived in NJ we had a membership at BJ's, which was a similar store. And you are so right about these places selling so much more than we could ever need...although is there ever enough chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter and I (or sister) usually go together and split the items. I LOVE THEIR CHEESE BARGAINS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hit publish too quickly. I always go for the same items, cheese, dog food and brisket (which we can't find anywhere else in the Ottawa Valley).

      Delete
  14. You are tempting me now. We have one in Bristol. I wonder if they are the same over here. We also have a landrover so just IMAGINE how much stuff we could buy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We live in a small town and although we strive to "buy local" it doesn't make sense for some items that we can get in the big city at Sam's Club (like Costco) for half or even a third of the price. We don't make trips there very often and I don't buy food there but we do take our Suburban and load up on supplies like paper towels, kleenex, copy paper, Sharpies(!), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't remember the last time I went to Costco. I love and hate the place because I love some stuff they sell and hate how quickly I lose control in there! Now that it's only the two of us, these oversized purchases just don't make sense. Many lives ago, I bought a giant-sized container of mustard that lasted a couple of years. And that's because we used it regularly. It would still be with us if we hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL...that's funny, last summer we went to a Costco on the way to Montreal and we got so overwhelmed that we just left. I would be tempted by the Sharpie's too...If you're a Seinfeld fan, your post reminded me of when Kramer went to "Price Club" and overbought...I'd be just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear you, sister! We aren't anywhere near one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This really made me laugh! That is exactly why I do NOT have a membership with any of the big-box stores. I have a tendency to channel a 1930s prairie housewife with a family of 12... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes it is good to keep the box small. I stay away from stores like that, because you leave with stuff you never knew you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We go for the rotisserie chickens...@$7.99, they are quite a bargain!!
    I buy 2...freeze one!
    Enjoy your day...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never thought I would want or need Costco. Then I visited one. Now I can't wait till they finish the store that is finally coming to our town. The building is up (although I doubt anything inside) and the parking lot is still dirt -- but the sign is there! Sharpies! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha your post made me chuckle! It is very hard to pass up all of the large amounts of wonderful things set before us!

    ReplyDelete