Reading List 2021

Saturday, 5 September 2026

Cucumber Abundance Solution



 For the past few years I have basically not bothered with planting cucumbers or pumpkins due to the scourge - cucumber beetle! They decimated my plants and I tried every defense with no success. I had been planting my zucchini under row covers and hand pollinating them just to get enough. 

This year, however, I threw caution to the wind and with the insane busyness of preparing for our daughter’s wedding on the property, I planted my zucchini and also three cucumber plants hoping for the best.

The gardening gods smiled down on me and I had zero cucumber beetles this summer ( NO idea why). The amount of zucchini harvested was and continues to be crazy, and yes, those three cucumber plants also produced abundantly. 

Many of our suppers have included the simple side of cucumbers cut up with coarse salt but there are still many. Of course they get discovered in amongst the vines at a bigger size than one would want for pickling cucumbers. But I pulled out my very old canning book, 

The book still has its original price tag on it - $3.99. I’ve decided to make mustard pickles, perfect for bigger cucumbers (peeled and seeded). 

I have jars boiling in the canner and all of my ingredients set out… I’ll take pictures of the finished product later. 


The sauce with a diced red pepper from my garden.


The cut up cucumbers and onions in the sauce (yes, they look like apples!).



Here are the pint jars in their beautiful, golden glory in their place of honour, atop Joanne's tea towel. Many of you will know who that is. 


If you are curious, or industrious, here is the recipe out of the book.


This time around, it made seven pints. The kitchen smells amazing. 

Have you canned anything this season? 

21 comments:

  1. Clever! I used to keep a gardening diary to see if there were patterns to good crops/bad crops. I never could figure out 'why' somethings went well or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to keep a gardening diary as well. It was this big green hard covered 10 year book from Lee Valley.

      Delete
  2. Your mustard pickle jars look wonderful. I'm not a pickle person myself and have never tried home preserving... but envy those who do. And love that you used Joanne's tea towel for the pic. I also have blue, aqua, and pumpkin ones and think of her whenever I use them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of her, too. There's a lot of sentiment attached to my two red tea towels!

      Delete
  3. I have made pickled tomatoes with a variety of the smaller tomatoes I am getting in abundance. Haven't tried them yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to can a lot of tomatoes but then I just discovered the joys of freezing them! -Jenn

      Delete
  4. I have to admit, I have made very few jams or pickles in my life. Cooking is not my strong point. Love the photos, and well done with the cucumbers. We have just returned from our holiday in Ontario with our daughter, and I just loved driving in the countryside past all the barns and crops. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ontario is pretty huge. I'm curious where you were in the province.

      Delete
  5. Pickled cucumbers—oh, they look so good. Every jar you open in winter will transport you back to your summer garden...
    I love beautiful tea towels.
    Warm regards, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I appreciate all my canning when we are up to our eyeballs in snow!

      Delete
  6. Looks amazing, I love Piccalilli and that's a mustard pickle, you've given me ideas, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a bit different from piccalilli, but yes, both are lovely.

      Delete
  7. It's fun to try new things when the harvest is abundant. I tried a new variety of cucumber this year and it didn't produce well. Fortunately, I'm stocked up on pickles and relishes. Canning this summer has mostly focused on tomato sauce, applesauce, and figs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those ingredients sound like my favorites! They sound delicious and look really beautiful. I have never canned but I think if I did, I'd want to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canning is one of those things where once you do it successfully, you just want to keep trying other things.

      Delete
  9. That relish looks good. Might have to add it to the 'to-do' list.
    Actually I have a fig tree in a big pot. It goes out in the summer, then gets overwintered in the root cellar, but could come inside if I had room. It is still quite young, about 2 years old, but has produced figs. So very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That root cellar is sure handy! A fig tree sounds very exotic!

      Delete
  10. Your pickles look so pretty and sound delicious! You are so smart, and your canning area looks so neat and perfect. My kitchen would be up-side-down! :) My cucumbers did really well this summer too and I have wasted so many of them. Your posts makes me wish for them back to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No canning here, as my garden is small and we generally ate (or will eat) what it produced. The pickles look great, and I can imagine how good the kitchen smelled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We didn't plant many cucumbers this year, but I did get enough for relish and some pickles as well as a few to eat.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete